Mistakes I make when Trying to Talk to People

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of feeling misunderstood and isolated when discussing topics that others may not understand. The original speaker often promises themselves not to do this, but often finds themselves doing it again. They express feelings of loneliness and frustration when trying to communicate with others. Some suggestions are made on how to find people with similar interests, and the conversation shifts to discussing the challenges of finding meaningful conversation and potential romantic interests.
Lisa!
Gold Member
I always promise myself not to confuse people by briging up the subjects that they have no idea about them but I do it again!:shy: So I have to explain a lot and at the end I feel like I was talking to the wall or even worse!(at least walls don't comment on what you say) And well after that I even feel lonelier than when I'm alone and have no one to talk!:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
I always promise myself not to confuse people by briging up the subjects that they have no idea about them but I do it again!:shy: So I have to explain a lot and at the end I feel like I was talking to the wall or even worse!(at least walls don't comment on what you say) And well after that I even feel lonelier than when I'm alone and have no one to talk!:frown:

I'm confused... I have no idea what you're talking about. Would you explain? I may or may not comment on your reply of course.

Regards,

The Wall

:wink:

Orefa said:
I'm confused... I have no idea what you're talking about. Would you explain? I may or may not comment on your reply of course.

Regards,

The Wall

:wink:
Such a well thought out, clear, concise post. No chance for confusion.

Lisa!, your posts should be more like Orefa's! :smile:

(Okay, I have no idea what this topic is about and just figured complimenting someone on their post was the safest action to take)

I think I know what you are talking about.

I often find that someone will bring up something that they don't really understand and I will have some amount of understanding myself. So I start trying to explain it to them somewhat and quickly find that they really aren't getting much of what I am saying and aren't very interested to hear any more.

Dont be sad. I thinks that cool. At least you are unique !

Yeah darkar,most of my interests are different from people around me. But that's not cool all the time!:smile:

When you talk to these people who don't understand you, what language are you speaking? What languages do they understand? Maybe that is the barrier.

Lisa! said:
Yeah darkar,most of my interests are different from people around me. But that's not cool all the time!:smile:

what kind of interests are you into? do you play dungeons and dragons blindfolded?

no matter how weird, interesting, fun or plain boring it is, the internet is a great place to find people with similar interests..

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
When you talk to these people who don't understand you, what language are you speaking? What languages do they understand? Maybe that is the barrier.

Usually I speak physicist and they only understand business-major. Even though they are engineering majors.

franznietzsche said:
Usually I speak physicist and they only understand business-major. Even though they are engineering majors.
yeah, but who cares. you're so cute they just giggle and smile and do the hair flip thing. That's universal!:smile: Even the hardcore engineering girls at UCLA do this with cute guys. They don't want to scare you off - in case you turn out to be a marketing major, or something. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
yeah, but who cares. you're so cute they just giggle and smile and do the hair flip thing. That's universal!:smile: Even the hardcore engineering girls at UCLA do this with cute guys. They don't want to scare you off - in case you turn out to be a marketing major, or something. :biggrin:

That doesn't help when their idea of conversation leaves me bored and wandering back into Hbar for more stimulating fare :cry: ! Though they are sometimes kinda cute for those first few seconds after the giggling and the hair flip thing :tongue2: .

franznietzsche said:
That doesn't help when their idea of conversation leaves me bored and wandering back into Hbar for more stimulating fare :cry: ! Though they are sometimes kinda cute for those first few seconds after the giggling and the hair flip thing :tongue2: .
Oy, guys want conversation too?

honestrosewater said:
Oy, guys want conversation too?

Well, I do. I'm easily bored, I have a sort of ADD when it comes to simple non-intellectually engaging things. Basically, I lose interest in most women very quickly, usually in far less time than it takes to actually judge if a person is worth a date (too be fair, its not that women are boring or vapid, its that people are. But, being straight, the fact that most guys are equally boring or vapid is irrelevant).

franznietzsche said:
Well, I do. I'm easily bored, I have a sort of ADD when it comes to simple non-intellectually engaging things. Basically, I lose interest in most women very quickly, usually in far less time than it takes to actually judge if a person is worth a date (too be fair, its not that women are boring or vapid, its that people are. But, being straight, the fact that most guys are equally boring or vapid is irrelevant).
Sorry, you lost me after "Well".

honestrosewater said:

Say what ?

*giggles*

Actually, considering where words have gotten me so far, maybe I should try not talking for a while. Can someone teach me that hair flip thing? Does it work in the dark?

I finished reading that! Yay for me!

I agree entirely, btw.

honestrosewater said:
whoops! there went my coffee! :rofl:
*searches for something to mop up the monitor*

MIH, we speak our native language. I was talking about people around me not on net!:wink:
Here people usually can't understand me because of my terrible English. In real life, people can't understand me because I'm interested and get excited about things that they have no idea about them. I have some friends with the same interests, but I can't spend all the day talking to them over the phone or perhaps emails. :yuck:

i think i know what mean,
when I am with my freinds from the university my conversation are much different then those i have with my childhood friends\family..

when I am changing enviorement i just change my state of mind to the surroundings... and whenever i want to talk to somone about things that doesn't belong to my current enviorement i meet\call someone from the appropriate enviorement.

heh, i made it sound complicated :biggrin:

anyway, there's no point in getting frustrated over this, just talk about common interests, and save what's on your mind to someone who'd appreciate it.

You're right! You know my main problem is when I'm excited about what I just hear or come to my mind. I need to talk to someone about it but well,...

fargoth said:
anyway, there's no point in getting frustrated over this, just talk about common interests, and save what's on your mind to someone who'd appreciate it.

I think you're missing the point. I have ZERO common interests with about 99% of people.

franznietzsche said:
I think you're missing the point. I have ZERO common interests with about 99% of people.

so you have to find the 1% and talk with them... try searching for that 1% in a geographically near location, so that meating with them isn't that hard.
i find it a lot more fun to talk in person rather then via phone\email\chat...

I'm not sure even about that %1!:tongue:

Lisa! said:
MIH, we speak our native language. I was talking about people around me not on net!:wink:
Here people usually can't understand me because of my terrible English. In real life, people can't understand me because I'm interested and get excited about things that they have no idea about them. I have some friends with the same interests, but I can't spend all the day talking to them over the phone or perhaps emails. :yuck:
I think I understand, Lisa, but I am not sure. I just asked about languages because I am an English speaker but I am learning to communicate in French and sometimes Farsi. There are not only differences in language to overcome but differences in culture and humor also. It's very complex, don't you think!?

But, yes, there are sometimes things that I want to talk about that are difficult to talk about with someone who is not very knowledgeable on the subject. For instance, at my coffee shop last week, the server was telling me how terrible artificial sweeteners were. But he could not say WHY-- just that he thought that any sweetener (or any food) that was "manufactured" was bad. I thought that was very silly. I spent half an hour describing how these various sweeteners were made chemically and how they may be very useful and actually healthful for someone who has diabetes, but I don't know if it that made any impression. And I was late for work!:grumpy:

You can speak French and Farsi? :cool:

fargoth said:
so you have to find the 1% and talk with them... try searching for that 1% in a geographically near location, so that meating with them isn't that hard.
i find it a lot more fun to talk in person rather then via phone\email\chat...

Why didn't I think of that! Its all so obvious now...

Math Is Hard said:
But, yes, there are sometimes things that I want to talk about that are difficult to talk about with someone who is not very knowledgeable on the subject. For instance, at my coffee shop last week, the server was telling me how terrible artificial sweeteners were. But he could not say WHY-- just that he thought that any sweetener (or any food) that was "manufactured" was bad. I thought that was very silly. I spent half an hour describing how these various sweeteners were made chemically and how they may be very useful and actually healthful for someone who has diabetes, but I don't know if it that made any impression. And I was late for work!:grumpy:

:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)

Lisa! said:
You can speak French and Farsi? :cool:
I can get around pretty well in French, but my Farsi is a mess. I only took it up to amuse my Iranian friends. They get a kick out of my horrible pronunciation. :redface: We are going out for Persian food today, and they are making me order for everyone at the table. :eek:

Math Is Hard said:
I can get around pretty well in French, but my Farsi is a mess. I only took it up to amuse my Iranian friends. They get a kick out of my horrible pronunciation. :redface: We are going out for Persian food today, and they are making me order for everyone at the table. :eek:

As long as its funny.

heh, I've been found, i got a net message from the local university network from some biotechnology student and we started talking just because she liked the stuff i share on my computer :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I really like people who can speak more than 2 language!:!)

I feel like I know very little compared to most of the people in my French class. Almost everyone there is completely fluent in two languages and starting French as their 3rd language. There are several people in the class who are fluent in Russian and English, and most of the rest are fluent in Spanish and English. When we are on break, you are as likely to hear the students talking in Spanish or Russian as English!

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to talk to others?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to talk to others include not actively listening, not being aware of nonverbal cues, talking too much about oneself, not being empathetic, and not being open to different perspectives.

How can I improve my communication skills?

Improving communication skills takes practice and self-awareness. Some tips include actively listening, being aware of nonverbal cues, being empathetic, asking open-ended questions, and being open to different perspectives.

Why do I feel anxious when talking to new people?

Feeling anxious when talking to new people is a common experience. It could be due to fear of judgement, lack of confidence, or past negative experiences. It's important to recognize and manage these feelings in order to have successful interactions with others.

How can I overcome social awkwardness when talking to others?

To overcome social awkwardness when talking to others, it's important to practice and build confidence. This can include starting small, finding common interests, and focusing on the present moment rather than worrying about how you are being perceived.

What are some effective ways to start a conversation with someone?

Starting a conversation can be intimidating, but some effective ways to do so include asking open-ended questions, commenting on something in the immediate environment, or finding a common interest. It's also important to be genuine and approach the conversation with a positive attitude.