To solve the unsolvable differential equation

In summary, the given differential equation (2x^3 - y)dx + (2x^2y + x)dy = 0 can be solved by rearranging the variables alphabetically within the expression and then factoring out the GCF of 'd'. By setting each individual factor equal to 0, the solutions x=0 and x=(-y^2)^(1/2) can be found.
the_dialogue

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex] (2x^3 - y)dx + (2x^2y + x)dy = 0 [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I've tried looking at this equation as a separable, homogeneous, linear, Bernoulli, and exact equation. None of them work.

Any direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, that is a tricky problem. So you're trying to differentiate it right? Find the deriative? It looks like an implicit differentiation problem, but I am not sure how the "dx" and "dy" fit in there...wouldn't it be an integration problem if dy and dx are in the equation?

I'm probably not much help since I've never seen a problem like this before. Sorry dude! :cry:

skies222 said:
hmm, that is a tricky problem. So you're trying to differentiate it right? Find the deriative? It looks like an implicit differentiation problem, but I am not sure how the "dx" and "dy" fit in there...wouldn't it be an integration problem if dy and dx are in the equation?

I'm probably not much help since I've never seen a problem like this before. Sorry dude! :cry:

He's not trying to differentiate it, he's trying to solve it, it's a differential equation. It looks like it might be exact if you could find an integrating factor.

It looks like it might be exact if you could find an integrating factor.

I love that! ANY first order differential equation is exact if you multiply by the integrating factor! The trick is to find the integrating factor!

Try putting it into polar coordinates: [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]. I believe it reduces to a separable equation.

If you sub those polar coordinates, then there's only one type of differential (i mean there's only d(theta) right?

With only one differential, how do you make a separable equation; sorry, I'm quite confused!

You also have dr in polar coordinates. :smile:

My question now is how do you think of polar coordinates in the first place? Is there something about the equation that leads you to believe it might work, or is it just another standard substitution that you try to see if it leads anywhere?

Last edited:
(2x^(3)-y)dx+(2x^(2)y+x)dy=0

Arrange the variables alphabetically within the expression (2x^(2)y+x)dy. This is the standard way of writing an expression.
dx(2x^(3)-y)+dy(2x^(2)y+x)=0

Factor out the GCF of d from each term in the polynomial.
d(x(2x^(3)-y))+d(y(2x^(2)y+x))=0

Factor out the GCF of d from dx(2x^(3)-y)+dy(2x^(2)y+x).
d(x(2x^(3)-y)+y(2x^(2)y+x))=0

Multiply x by each term inside the parentheses.
d((2x^(4)-xy)+y(2x^(2)y+x))=0

Multiply y by each term inside the parentheses.
d((2x^(4)-xy)+(2x^(2)y^(2)+xy))=0

Remove the parentheses that are not needed from the expression.
d(2x^(4)-xy+2x^(2)y^(2)+xy)=0

Since -xy and xy are like terms, subtract xy from -xy to get 0.
d(2x^(4)+2x^(2)y^(2))=0

Factor out the GCF of 2x^(2) from each term in the polynomial.
d(2x^(2)(x^(2))+2x^(2)(y^(2)))=0

Factor out the GCF of 2x^(2) from 2x^(4)+2x^(2)y^(2).
d(2x^(2)(x^(2)+y^(2)))=0

Multiply d by 2x^(2) to get 2dx^(2).
(2dx^(2))(x^(2)+y^(2))=0

Remove the parentheses.
2dx^(2)(x^(2)+y^(2))=0

If any individual factor on the left-hand side of the equation is equal to 0, the entire expression will be equal to 0.
2dx^(2)=0_(x^(2)+y^(2))=0

Set the first factor equal to 0 and solve.
2dx^(2)=0

Divide each term in the equation by 2d.
(2dx^(2))/(2d)=(0)/(2d)

Simplify the left-hand side of the equation by canceling the common terms.
x^(2)=(0)/(2d)

0 divided by any number or variable is 0.
x^(2)=0

Take the square root of both sides of the equation to eliminate the exponent on the left-hand side.
x=\~(0)

Pull all perfect square roots out from under the radical. In this case, remove the 0 because it is a perfect square.
x=\0

\0 is equal to 0.
x=0

Set the next factor equal to 0 and solve.
(x^(2)+y^(2))=0

Remove the parentheses around the expression x^(2)+y^(2).
x^(2)+y^(2)=0

Since y^(2) does not contain the variable to solve for, move it to the right-hand side of the equation by subtracting y^(2) from both sides.
x^(2)=-y^(2)

Take the square root of both sides of the equation to eliminate the exponent on the left-hand side.
x=(-y^(2))^((1)/(2))

The final solution is all the values that make 2dx^(2)(x^(2)+y^(2))=0 true.
x=0,(-y^(2))^((1)/(2))

1. How do you determine if a differential equation is unsolvable?

A differential equation is considered unsolvable if it does not have a closed-form solution that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This means that the solution cannot be written in terms of basic mathematical operations and functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, logarithms, trigonometric functions, etc.

2. What are some techniques used to solve unsolvable differential equations?

Some common techniques used to solve unsolvable differential equations include numerical methods, such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method, and approximation methods, such as perturbation theory and asymptotic expansions. Other advanced techniques, such as Laplace transforms and variation of parameters, may also be used.

3. Can any differential equation be solved using these techniques?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using these techniques. Some equations may be too complex or have special properties that make them impossible to solve using traditional methods. However, these techniques can be applied to a wide range of differential equations, making them valuable tools for solving many problems in science and engineering.

4. How do you know if the solution obtained using these techniques is accurate?

The accuracy of the solution obtained using these techniques depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the chosen method. Generally, the more precise the initial conditions and the more advanced the method used, the more accurate the solution will be. It is also important to check the solution against known or expected results to ensure its accuracy.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving unsolvable differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving unsolvable differential equations. These equations are often used to model complex systems in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. For example, they can be used to study the motion of objects, heat transfer, population dynamics, and many other phenomena. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.