1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To write x as a function of time doubt.

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Hello!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It is more a conceptual problem. If all the variables are known, and I am asked to write x as a function of time, why the equations below are not equivalent when equation (b) is derived from (a) after substituting "v_f = v_i + at" ?

(a) x_f = x_i + 1/2(v_f + v_ i)(t)

(b) x_f = x_i + v_i(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

If I suppose: x_i = 0, v_f = 50, v_i = 0, t = 5, and a= 3.33. Am I supposed to get same answers? It seems not, and I don't understand why.

I could say that x = 0 + 1/2(a)(t^2) = 1/2(3.33)(t^2) or x_f = 1.67(t^2). [using (b)]

But for (a) x_f = 0 + 1/2(50)(t) or x_f = 25(t)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

These numbers don't make sense. (You can't just pick arbitrary values and expect it to work.)

4. Sep 17, 2011 #3
    Ok. But may I ask two more questions?

(a) Why these numbers do not make sense? physicaly impossible? What sort of numbers would make sense?

(b) And if looked from a mathematical point of view, why both equations must have particular values in order to be equivalent? Or are they not equivalent?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. Sep 17, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, those numbers are physically impossible. For example: If vi = 0, vf = 50, t = 5, then a is determined by the physics to be 50/5 = 10 m/s2.
    They are equivalent.

6. Sep 17, 2011 #5

Well, now I see clearly the mistake. I am only going to say that this is depressing. Perhaps I need some rest.

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook