Polliwagen: Too Good to be True Offer

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: Sucks to be you. Do you have the knowledge/experience to make safety modifications, then have a friend or person you don't like test it?What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.Stupidity is the number one cause of small aircraft deaths. I wouldn't do it unless you have a death wish.What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.I can't see how the wings are supposed to flap.Go on, give it a go.You could always
Cyrus
I was given an offer I (almost) could not refuse:

l467.jpg

All the pieces are made out of Fiberglass (wings, tail, fuselage). I would have to assemble it, buy an engine, landing gear, and do the cockpit. But the airframe is all there. The company that has it wants to get rid of it and would give it to me for free. But after googling it, it turns out the design never was any good when it first came out and its not a very safe airplane to fly. Major bummer :frown:

It's called a polliwagen.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so the "experimental" sticker wasn't what gave it away?

We'll miss you (a little)...

Do you have the knowledge/experience to make safety modifications, then have a friend or person you don't like test it?

What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.

Stupidity is the number one cause of small aircraft deaths. I wouldn't do it unless you have a death wish.

wolram said:
What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.

I can't see how the wings are supposed to flap.

Go on, give it a go.

You could always keep it, it's a place to sleep when times get rough.

Winzer said:
Do you have the knowledge/experience to make safety modifications, then have a friend or person you don't like test it?

:rofl::rofl:

wolram said:
it sure looks like it should fly.
With a big enough rubber band.

Oh I see it has your name on it "CYS"!

Cyrus said:

All the pieces are made out of Fiberglass (wings, tail, fuselage). I would have to assemble it, buy an engine, landing gear, and do the cockpit. But the airframe is all there. The company that has it wants to get rid of it and would give it to me for free. But after googling it, it turns out the design never was any good when it first came out and its not a very safe airplane to fly. Major bummer :frown:

Get rid of what? The airplane or you?:tongue:

Let's see...

Free airplane
No engine
No landing gear
Known to be defective design
Suckers apply inside

Sounds to me like a way to avoid garbage fees.

Why don't you take it so you can build, just for the fun of building it. Then you can show it off.

Heck there is no Wright Spirt here, test it over water so only you would pop your clogs in the event of a failure, i would give it a go.

wolram said:
I would give it a go.
There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, and then there is Wolram!

mgb_phys said:
There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, and then there is Wolram!

Hey, that's not fair.

Haha, great replies all!

The model airplaner inside me said (take it and build it, it will be such a great learning experience on how to build a real airplane!) but the engineer inside me says...I don't think so tim.

Its supposed to be a pretty clean and nimble airplane.

Cyrus said:
Haha, great replies all!

The model airplaner inside me said (take it and build it, it will be such a great learning experience on how to build a real airplane!) but the engineer inside me says...I don't think so tim.

Its supposed to be a pretty clean and nimble airplane.
You want clean and nimble? Buy a Pitts Special and turn yourself inside out. Over-powered biplane with enough torque to suspend the plane in a prop-hang while imparting a slow spin. I saw Chuck Caruthers (dentist) doing his magic in one of these over 30 years ago, and if you can get your hands on one, TAKE IT. Amazing! BTW, he navigated from Ohio to Maine by following the interstate highways.

turbo-1 said:
BTW, he navigated from Ohio to Maine by following the interstate highways.
That's how they all do it - ever wondered why pilots carry those big cases? They are full of gas station maps.

mgb_phys said:
That's how they all do it - ever wondered why pilots carry those big cases? They are full of gas station maps.
I asked him how he navigated to Maine, and he said the he followed the interstates to Old Town Maine. Daylight flying in good weather, and eyeballs. Nothing much better than our pilots in WWI had available.

Cyrus said:

l467.jpg

I see a great possibility for a full size weather vane here.

Hi, I realize that this is an old post, but I was wondering if the poly you're speaking of might still be available, if so would you please put me in touch with the sellers. Thanks Bob

Cyrus said:

l467.jpg

polliwagen said:
Hi, I realize that this is an old post, but I was wondering if the poly you're speaking of might still be available, if so would you please put me in touch with the sellers. Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

please send me a private message with your contact information and I will forward it to the company. They would be very happy to sell it to you (if its still there).

-Cyrus

I talked with them today, and I'm afraid it's been sold off last month.

1. What is the "Polliwagen: Too Good to be True Offer"?

The "Polliwagen: Too Good to be True Offer" is a promotional campaign for a new type of eco-friendly vehicle called the Polliwagen. It claims to be a revolutionary mode of transportation that is both affordable and sustainable.

2. How does the Polliwagen work?

The Polliwagen runs on a combination of electric and solar power, making it a zero-emission vehicle. It also has a unique design that allows it to be easily assembled and disassembled for convenient transportation and storage.

3. Is the Polliwagen safe to drive?

Yes, the Polliwagen has undergone rigorous safety testing and meets all necessary regulations. It also includes features such as airbags and seatbelts for added protection.

4. What makes the Polliwagen different from other electric vehicles?

The Polliwagen stands out from other electric vehicles due to its affordability and convenience. Its lightweight and modular design make it easy to transport and assemble, making it accessible to a wider range of consumers.

5. How can I purchase a Polliwagen?

You can purchase a Polliwagen through the official website or through selected dealerships. Keep in mind that availability may vary depending on your location. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all factors before making a purchase.