Too Good to be true

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
I was given an offer I (almost) could not refuse:

l467.jpg

All the pieces are made out of Fiberglass (wings, tail, fuselage). I would have to assemble it, buy an engine, landing gear, and do the cockpit. But the airframe is all there. The company that has it wants to get rid of it and would give it to me for free. But after googling it, it turns out the design never was any good when it first came out and its not a very safe airplane to fly. Major bummer :frown:

It's called a polliwagen.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

so the "experimental" sticker wasn't what gave it away?

russ_watters
Mentor
We'll miss you (a little)...

Do you have the knowledge/experience to make safety modifications, then have a friend or person you don't like test it?

wolram
Gold Member
What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.

Stupidity is the number one cause of small aircraft deaths. I wouldn't do it unless you have a death wish.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What are the saftey issues, i would risk them if they are predictable, it sure looks like it should fly.

I can't see how the wings are supposed to flap.

neu
Go on, give it a go.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could always keep it, it's a place to sleep when times get rough.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do you have the knowledge/experience to make safety modifications, then have a friend or person you don't like test it?

:rofl::rofl:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
it sure looks like it should fly.
With a big enough rubber band.

Lisa!
Gold Member
Oh I see it has your name on it "CYS"!

All the pieces are made out of Fiberglass (wings, tail, fuselage). I would have to assemble it, buy an engine, landing gear, and do the cockpit. But the airframe is all there. The company that has it wants to get rid of it and would give it to me for free. But after googling it, it turns out the design never was any good when it first came out and its not a very safe airplane to fly. Major bummer :frown:

Get rid of what? The airplane or you?:tongue:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's see...

Free airplane
No engine
No landing gear
Known to be defective design
Suckers apply inside

Sounds to me like a way to avoid garbage fees.

Why don't you take it so you can build, just for the fun of building it. Then you can show it off.

wolram
Gold Member
Heck there is no Wright Spirt here, test it over water so only you would pop your clogs in the event of a failure, i would give it a go.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I would give it a go.
There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, and then there is Wolram!

wolram
Gold Member
There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, and then there is Wolram!

Hey, thats not fair.

Haha, great replies all!

The model airplaner inside me said (take it and build it, it will be such a great learning experience on how to build a real airplane!) but the engineer inside me says........I don't think so tim.

Its supposed to be a pretty clean and nimble airplane.

turbo
Gold Member
Haha, great replies all!

The model airplaner inside me said (take it and build it, it will be such a great learning experience on how to build a real airplane!) but the engineer inside me says........I don't think so tim.

Its supposed to be a pretty clean and nimble airplane.
You want clean and nimble? Buy a Pitts Special and turn yourself inside out. Over-powered biplane with enough torque to suspend the plane in a prop-hang while imparting a slow spin. I saw Chuck Caruthers (dentist) doing his magic in one of these over 30 years ago, and if you can get your hands on one, TAKE IT. Amazing! BTW, he navigated from Ohio to Maine by following the interstate highways.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
BTW, he navigated from Ohio to Maine by following the interstate highways.
That's how they all do it - ever wondered why pilots carry those big cases? They are full of gas station maps.

turbo
Gold Member
That's how they all do it - ever wondered why pilots carry those big cases? They are full of gas station maps.
I asked him how he navigated to Maine, and he said the he followed the interstates to Old Town Maine. Daylight flying in good weather, and eyeballs. Nothing much better than our pilots in WWI had available.

l467.jpg

I see a great possibility for a full size weather vane here.

polliwagen
Hi, I realize that this is an old post, but I was wondering if the poly you're speaking of might still be available, if so would you please put me in touch with the sellers. Thanks Bob

l467.jpg

Hi, I realize that this is an old post, but I was wondering if the poly you're speaking of might still be available, if so would you please put me in touch with the sellers. Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

please send me a private message with your contact information and I will forward it to the company. They would be very happy to sell it to you (if its still there).

-Cyrus

I talked with them today, and I'm afraid it's been sold off last month.