Choosing an Electrical Engineering Major - Too Many Questions

• Thread starter ahmad
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker had been away from the forum due to mid-terms and found their old account had been deleted upon return. They are seeking advice on which major to choose in electrical engineering, with options of Electronics and Communications engineering or Computers and systems engineering, both being three years with the last year focused on a specific aspect. Recommendations were made to consider career goals and to speak with an advisor and professors for further guidance.
ahmad
Hi all,
First of all; I wasn't getting on PF for a quite long time because of the mid-terms and others, when I returned I found out that my old account was deleted!
Second of all; In a single week I have to choose a major in electrical engineering and I need your thoughts cause I'm quite confused and not sure which is better, options are:
1) Electronics and Communications engineering; three years, the last year is either electronics only or communications only.
2) Computers and systems engineering; three years, the last year is either computers only or systems only.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Hullo --

The forum was upgraded, everyone had to make new accounts.

As for the major, it depends what you want to do. #1 is the more traditional EE coursework... if you want to do electronics design -- sayu working on telecommunications or microprocessor/electronics hardware, you should pick it. #2 sounds like a more computer science-y sort of thing; perhaps with working on embedded systems for the second emphasis choice your last your. So, do you want to do more circuit design or computer programming? :)

I would also highly recommend you talk to your advisor and the profs in the department. Lots of time they have knowledge about which courses/profs are good, what your school's emphasis is, and so on.

for your help and time!

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on deciding to pursue a major in electrical engineering! It can be a challenging but rewarding field to study. I understand that you have a lot of questions and concerns about which specific major to choose within the field, and that can definitely be overwhelming.

My advice would be to take some time to research and explore each option thoroughly. Look into the course curriculum for each major and see which one aligns more with your interests and career goals. You could also reach out to current students or alumni from each major to get their perspective and insights.

Additionally, consider talking to academic advisors or professors in the electrical engineering department. They can provide valuable guidance and help you make an informed decision.

Ultimately, remember that whichever major you choose, it will still be within the broader field of electrical engineering. So don't stress too much about making the "perfect" choice. Focus on your strengths and interests, and trust that you will excel in whichever path you choose.

Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a field of study that focuses on the application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics to design, develop, and maintain various electrical systems and devices.

2. What skills are required for an Electrical Engineering major?

Some essential skills for an Electrical Engineering major include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

3. What are the job opportunities for Electrical Engineering majors?

Electrical Engineering majors have diverse job opportunities, including working in industries such as telecommunications, power generation and distribution, electronics, and computer hardware and software development. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and academia.

4. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for an Electrical Engineering major?

Some recommended courses for high school students interested in pursuing an Electrical Engineering major include mathematics (calculus and trigonometry), physics, computer science, and electronics. Some schools may also offer specialized engineering courses.

5. How can I decide if an Electrical Engineering major is right for me?

It is essential to research and understand the field of Electrical Engineering, its subdisciplines, and potential career paths. You can also talk to current or former Electrical Engineering students, attend career fairs and information sessions, and participate in internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain a better understanding of the major.