What are the top 3 hardest college majors for average students?

• Thread starter xdrgnh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of different academic majors and how it varies for each individual. Pure Math, Philosophy, and Physics are mentioned, with the group ultimately concluding that it is difficult to compare and rank majors as it depends on personal strengths and interests. In the end, the importance of becoming an expert in any field is highlighted.
Infact Principas failures do more to vindicate the importance of philosophy in substantiating the mathematical realm than i think many would have liked. It is a shame it failed as it elucidates the fact that the basis of mathematical thought is a philosophical question and thus unanswerable and arguably pointless to discuss. : (

Physics news on Phys.org
Functor97 said:
Infact Principas failures do more to vindicate the importance of philosophy in substantiating the mathematical realm than i think many would have liked. It is a shame it failed as it elucidates the fact that the basis of mathematical thought is a philosophical question and thus unanswerable and arguably pointless to discuss. : (

Are you by chance a philosophy major?

KingNothing said:
Are you by chance a philosophy major?

:rofl: No, Mathematics and Physics double major. In my spare time however, i read a lot of mathematical philosophy.

Functor97 said:
:rofl: No, Mathematics and Physics double major. In my spare time however, i read a lot of mathematical philosophy.

emphasis mine

Contradiction!

Topher925 said:
You're all wrong. It goes like this;

1. Communications
2. Art
3. Guitar

thank you, you are the first person in this thread to make me smile. i was just reading the "pure math" responses and thinking to myself "let's approach this from another angle: what would be the top 3 hardest college majors if you were Paul Erdos?"

Anything in the exact sciences is a lot harder than let's say humanities.
Philosophy, IN THEORY, is a difficult subject, to be a great philosopher it's hard, to be able to get A's in philosophy school not so much.
You just write anything and as there is no really right or wrong you will get an A.

Yes, when we are kids we learn every field is important and hard(and everybody is equal,everybody is intelligent...), but it's not true at all. Even if you don't like it.

I'm an eng major, I don't really like literature but I know I could do a lot better in literature without studying much at all than in engineering.

Except if you are some kind of savant that can only do math and can't talk to people.

So my list is
Math, Physics, engineering. No particular order.

Pure math is easy. Philosophy is easy.

Wanna know a hard major? Physical chemistry. Every person I've ever talked to calls it a nightmare.