Top Statistics Program: How to be a strong candidate?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore honors student at a state school with a 4.0 GPA in Mathematics and Economics. They have research experience in mechanical engineering and economics and are a Gates Millennium Scholar. They are interested in quantitative finance and plan to go straight into a PhD program in Statistics after undergrad. They are currently studying for the GRE and looking for a finance-related internship. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances in the admissions process and whether work experience or research is viewed more favorably. They are also considering doing a PhD in finance, but are unsure about their specific goals in the field. The speaker is advised to focus on mastering Real Analysis and Functional Analysis to improve their ability to do graduate statistics and to consider a
JStudent
Hey everyone! Spring semester recently started for me and I am really getting stressed out as I am trying to lay a solid plan for my future.

First, a bit of information about myself:

Sophomore honors student at a pretty decent state school.
B.S. in Mathematics and Economics (4.0 GPA in both major)
Research experience in mechanical engineering and economics (pending conference papers)
Gates Millennium Scholar (national scholarship from the Gates Foundation that covers all expense incl. grad. school)

I am really interested in quantitative finance, particularly statistical arbitrage using algorithmic trading. Since my scholarship will basically cover for a PhD, I do not want to get a Master's in Financial Engineering and so I wish to go straight into a PhD program in Statistics right after undergrad. I know I have two years left to worry about grad. school but I want to get a head start to make myself a good candidate for the top stats. programs (top 5).

Currently, I am studying for the GRE and trying to get an internship in NYC this summer (did a few interviews at some banks and now waiting to hear back). I really want to do math/stats-related research but haven't been able to find a faculty that needs help or is willing to mentor me. What do you guys think I should do to better my chances in the admissions process? Will work experience or research be view better in the admissions process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do a PhD in finance? Do you want to prove things like central limit theorems (and generalizations of that) or do you want to understand them and use them in finance.

If you want to use them then do PhD in finance if you want to prove them then ...

to improve your ability to do graduate statistics you should first try and master Real Analysis and Functional Analysis, a lot of statistics is about convergence theorems which uses tools from those areas, and it does take time to master them.

I know they will look favourably if you know a good amount of analysis/functional analysis and probability.

Note finance uses a lot of these things also, and if you want to do something related to topics you mentioned phd in Finance is the way to go. It is also hard to get in top programs in finance as they only take 4 students per year.

Related to Top Statistics Program: How to be a strong candidate?

1. What are the basic qualifications for a top statistics program?

The basic qualifications for a top statistics program typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Most programs also require a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores such as the GRE.

2. How can I stand out as a candidate for a top statistics program?

To stand out as a candidate for a top statistics program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and a passion for the subject. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also make you stand out.

3. Are there any specific courses or skills that can make me a stronger candidate for a top statistics program?

Some courses that can make you a stronger candidate for a top statistics program include linear algebra, calculus, and computer programming. Other skills such as data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving are also highly valued in the field of statistics.

4. What experiences should I include in my application to a top statistics program?

When applying to a top statistics program, it is important to highlight any relevant research experience, internships, or coursework in the field. It is also beneficial to showcase any leadership roles, community service, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your skills and interests in statistics.

5. Are there any tips for preparing for the application process for a top statistics program?

Some tips for preparing for the application process for a top statistics program include researching the program thoroughly, contacting current students or alumni, and carefully following all application guidelines and deadlines. It is also important to highlight your strengths and experiences that make you a strong candidate in your application materials.