Electronics: push-pull amplifiers

In summary, the distortion in Class A amplifiers is caused by the flow of current through the amplifier. Since both transistors are conducting at all times, there is a lot of current flowing through the amplifier. This current causes a lot of distortion, which is why Class A amplifiers are more efficient but have more distortion.
kopinator
I am writing a paper on Classes A and B push-pull amplifiers and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some valuable insight into this type of circuit, i.e. advantages, disadvantages, when and where they can be used, etc.. Also, I have been doing a lot of my own research into this, but I'm struggling to find a distinction between Class A and Class B that is clear and easy to understand. Would anyone be willing to enlighten me on those differences?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kopinator said:
I'm struggling to find a distinction between Class A and Class B that is clear and easy to understand. Would anyone be willing to enlighten me on those differences?
I will use transistor amplifiers in my examples.
  • Class A amplifiers: Both upper and lower transistors conduct the whole time, just varying the amount of current they conduct.
  • Class B amplifiers: Upper transistor cuts off when the lower conducts and vice versa. Creating a smooth transition between the two states is difficult, therefore class AB is more popular (both transistors conduct when the output goes through zero and some way beyond)
  • Class C amplifiers: Only one transistor conducts at any time. No transistor conducts when the output goes through zero (only useful for RF amplifiers)
  • Class D amplifiers: "Digital" amplifiers - the signal is converted to pulse width modulation and fed to the loudspeakers more or less directly. The loudspeakers act as a low pass filter and recreates the signal.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electronics-tutorials.ws%2Famplifier%2Famplifier19.gif

The conduction angle is related to how long during the entire waveform the output stage transistor(s) behaves as a variable resistance (using power) in a divider with the load resistance and how long it operates switched off with 'no' power dissipated in the transistor. In the case of digital modes the 'ON' power used by the transistor is related to the usually small about of voltage drop across the device when saturated so it's not a linear resistance following the signal and efficiency is much higher because of that.

Wow, that's great! Thank you for your help. I can turn this into another double-spaced page of info. Thanks!

Actually, I have one more question: The Class B is more efficient, but has more distortion. Why is that?

kopinator said:
Actually, I have one more question: The Class B is more efficient, but has more distortion. Why is that?
Svein has the answer in that post.

1. What is a push-pull amplifier?

A push-pull amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses two complementary active devices (such as transistors or tubes) to amplify an electrical signal. The two devices work together to amplify both the positive and negative halves of the input signal, resulting in a more efficient and higher quality amplification.

2. How does a push-pull amplifier work?

A push-pull amplifier works by using two active devices, typically a pair of transistors, to amplify an input signal. One device is connected to the positive side of the input signal and the other to the negative side. As the positive device amplifies the positive half of the signal, the negative device amplifies the negative half. The outputs of the two devices are then combined to produce a larger amplified signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a push-pull amplifier?

There are several advantages of using a push-pull amplifier. These include increased efficiency, reduced distortion, and improved power handling capabilities. Additionally, push-pull amplifiers are more linear than single-ended amplifiers, meaning they can accurately amplify a wider range of input signals.

4. What are the disadvantages of using a push-pull amplifier?

One potential disadvantage of using a push-pull amplifier is the increased complexity and cost compared to single-ended amplifiers. This is due to the need for two active devices and additional circuitry. Additionally, push-pull amplifiers may require careful balancing and matching of the two active devices to ensure proper functioning.

5. Where are push-pull amplifiers commonly used?

Push-pull amplifiers are commonly used in audio equipment, such as stereo systems and guitar amplifiers. They are also used in power amplifiers for high-power applications, such as in radio transmitters and audio systems for large venues. Additionally, push-pull amplifiers are used in telecommunications equipment and other electronic devices that require high-quality amplification of signals.