What are the Functions of Topoisomerase and How Does it Work?

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The best thing to do is to make sure you cover the biology of the enzyme first. In summary, topoisomerase is an enzyme responsible for uncoiling DNA during replication and transcription. It does this by cutting the DNA to relax it, which results in the formation of supercoils. The equation L = W + T is used to describe this process, where W represents supercoiling, L is the limiting number, and T is the twist. There are different types of topoisomerases, such as topoisomerase 1 and topoisomerase 2, which have different effects on DNA. Topoisomerase 1 makes single-stranded breaks, while topoisomerase 2 makes double-stranded
babbagee
Topoisomerase is a enzyme that uncoils DNA during replication and Transcription. I understand that much, but how does it go about uncoilng the DNA. My teacher was talking about how super coils form when the DNA unwinds and Topoisomerase cuts the DNA to relax the DNA. But he went into a lot of detail which i did not understand. For example he have this equation L = W + T where W the super coiling L is the limiting number and T is the twist. I don't know what he ment by all this, if anyone can explain this to me please reply. Also he talked about how Topoisomerase 1 has a delta L of +1 and Topoisomerase 2 has a delta L of -2. Topoisomerase 1 makes a single stranded break where as topo 2 makes a double stranded break. I do not know what all of this works out, so can some one please help me out, also if possible can some one provide me a good website which talks about this stuff.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
There is a lot to this, and there are some differences between various unrelated eukaryote's Topoisomerase variants.

Your prof was likely trying to give you an overview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topoisomerase
Go to the bottom of the article, scan through the resources listed.

1. What is the function of topoisomerase?

Topoisomerase is an enzyme that helps to regulate DNA supercoiling by breaking and rejoining the DNA strands.

2. Why is topoisomerase important in DNA replication?

Topoisomerase plays a crucial role in DNA replication by allowing the DNA strands to unwind, making them accessible for replication enzymes to copy the genetic information.

3. Can topoisomerase fix DNA damage?

Yes, topoisomerase can repair DNA damage by removing knots and tangles in the DNA strands, which can occur from various causes such as UV radiation or chemical exposure.

4. How does topoisomerase prevent DNA from becoming tangled?

Topoisomerase helps to prevent DNA from becoming tangled by breaking and rejoining the DNA strands, allowing them to unwind and release any tension in the structure.

5. What happens if topoisomerase is inhibited?

If topoisomerase is inhibited, the DNA strands will not be able to unwind and replicate properly, leading to errors in genetic information and potentially causing cell death or mutations.