Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topoisomerase's Function

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Topoisomerase is a enzyme that uncoils DNA during replication and Transcription. I understand that much, but how does it go about uncoilng the DNA. My teacher was talking about how super coils form when the DNA unwinds and Topoisomerase cuts the DNA to relax the DNA. But he went into alot of detail which i did not understand. For example he have this equation L = W + T where W the super coiling L is the limiting number and T is the twist. I dont know what he ment by all this, if any one can explain this to me please reply. Also he talked about how Topoisomerase 1 has a delta L of +1 and Topoisomerase 2 has a delta L of -2. Topoisomerase 1 makes a single stranded break where as topo 2 makes a double stranded break. I do not know what all of this works out, so can some one please help me out, also if possible can some one provide me a good website which talks about this stuff.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted