1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topologist's sine curve is not path connected

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    This example is to show that a connected topological space need not be path-connected.

S={ (t,sin(1/t)): 0 <t <= 1 }
    A={ (0,t): -1 <= t <= 1 }
    let T = S U A
    with the topology induced from R^2.

I show T is not path-connected. Assume to the contrary that there exists a path p:[0,1]-->T with p(0)=(1/pi, 0) and p(1)=(0,0). Let
    k = Inf{ t in [0,1] : p(t) in A}.
    Then p([0,k]) contains at most one point of A. I want to show Closure of p([0,k]) contains all of A. So p([0,k]) is not closed, and therefore not compact. But p is continuous and [0,k] is compact, so p([0,k]) must be compact,which is a contradiction.

How do I show Closure of p([0,k]) contains all of A?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is about as confusing as you could possibly make it. A path p(t) going from p(0)=(0,0) in T to p(1)=(1,sin(1)) in T must approach a definite limit as t->0. But it has to follow the curve (t,sin(1/t)) to get there. Of course the Closure(p)=A. Pick an e>0. There is a point on p(t) within a distance e of any point on A. It oscillates infinitely often between -1 and 1 as t->0.

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    The definition I have for X being path-connected is that for any 2 points of X, there is a path connecting them. So if the continuous map p:[0,1]-->X is the path connecting x and y in X, we have p(0)=x; p(1)=y.

Here I chose the points x=(1/pi, sin(1/(1/pi)) )= (1/pi, 0) and y = (0,0) in T and I assume T is path-connected so there is a path p:[0,1]-->T connecting x and y.

I don't see how my notations are confusing (unless the definitions I have are wrong).

For some reason I'm not getting the proof. Is there a simple way to show A is contained in the Closure of p([0,k]) where k = Inf {t in [0,1] : p(t) in A}?

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I'm just easily confused. The point is that p(t) must contain all of the points O={(t,sin(1/t)) for t in (0,1/pi)}. Can you prove that? Now can you show that for any point a in A, and any e>0 there is a point in O whose distance from a is less than e?

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    what do you mean by p(t) must contain all of the points O={(t,sin(1/t)) for t in (0,1/pi)}, is p(t) a set? How does it relate with Closure of p([0,k]) where k = Inf {t in [0,1] : p(t) in A}?

7. Feb 12, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The image of p(t) is a set, yes. I am saying that p(t) must follow the curve (t,sin(1/t)). And all of the points in A are limit points of that image set.

8. Feb 12, 2009 #7
    So does it mean that A is contained in the closure of Image of p (i.e. closure of p([0,1])), but does it imply that A C closure of p([o,k])?

9. Feb 12, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't worry about p([0,k]). The point is that A is contained in the closure of p([0,e)) for any e>0. This is going to make it difficult for p to have a limit as t->0. The main ingredient is showing that the image of p must contain all of the points in O.

10. Feb 12, 2009 #9
    I am trying to think this way.Let a be any point of A. Let B be a basic neighborhood of a. We show there exists x in p([0,k])intersection B. By drawing I can see that if I can show p(k) is in A, then it works but how can I write it analytically?

11. Feb 12, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose B has radius e>0. Pick a smaller e0>0 such that there is one full cycle of sin(1/t) (i.e. the value passes through -1 and 1) between t=e0 and t=e. Like e0=1/((1/e)+2pi). Though you don't have to be that detailed. There are an infinite number of sine cycles less than any e>0. The curve must intersect B since the x coordinate of a is 0 and the y coordinate of a is between -1 and 1.

12. Feb 12, 2009 #11
    Oh, that makes sense now :). Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook