Torelli Group: Understanding the Non-Trivial Diffeomorphisms of String Theory

• Thread starter Darth Sidious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the Torelli group in string theory, which corresponds to twists around trivial cycles. The homology basis remains unchanged, but these transformations are non-trivial diffeomorphisms. The speaker searched for drawings of these twists but couldn't find any. They mention that the moduli space of genus g Riemann surfaces becomes more complicated for g > 3, and it may be necessary to go to g=4 to see if there are any differences. The speaker also mentions the state of the art in computing superstring amplitudes for g=3 and the need to go to g=4 to potentially see something qualitatively different.
Darth Sidious
Hello,

While reading the lectures of Luest and Theisen on string
theory I encountered the Torelli group. They are very vague
about it (the discussion is at pages 118-119) but they say
that it correspond to twists arround trivial cycles so the
homology basis is unchanged but these transformations
are non-trivial diffeomorphisms nevertheless.

I searched the Web for some drawing describing these
twists but I couldn't find them. Would some kind soul
explain them to me? I *think* that they should be like the
Dehn twists but I'm not sure about that.

There's some other interesting piece of information in
Luest & Theisen about the moduli space of genus g Riemann
surfaces. It seems that this moduli space gets quite
complicated for genus g > 3. I think g=3 is the state
of the art in computing superstring amplitudes (I have no
idea about bosonic string amplitudes). I therefore think it's
necessary to go at least to g=4 to see if there's something
qualitatively different there.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

The Torelli group is an important concept in understanding the non-trivial diffeomorphisms of string theory. It refers to a group of transformations that correspond to twists around trivial cycles, which do not change the homology basis but are still considered non-trivial diffeomorphisms.

To better understand these twists, it may be helpful to think of them as similar to Dehn twists, but with some differences. While Dehn twists involve cutting and gluing a surface, Torelli twists involve only twisting or rotating the surface without cutting or gluing. This is because in string theory, the surface is considered to be a fundamental entity, and any cutting or gluing would change its topology.

Unfortunately, there are no readily available drawings or illustrations of Torelli twists, as they are quite abstract and difficult to visualize. However, there are some mathematical representations and equations that can help in understanding them.

As for the moduli space of genus g Riemann surfaces, it does indeed become more complex for g > 3. This is because as the genus increases, the number of parameters needed to describe the surface also increases, making the moduli space more intricate. In terms of computing superstring amplitudes, going beyond genus 3 may reveal new insights and potentially lead to new discoveries.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the Torelli group and the moduli space of Riemann surfaces in string theory. Keep exploring and learning, and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or assistance.

1. What is the Torelli group in string theory?

The Torelli group is a mathematical concept that describes the non-trivial diffeomorphisms of string theory. In other words, it represents the set of transformations that preserve the physical properties of a string, such as its shape and topology.

2. Why is understanding the Torelli group important in string theory?

Understanding the Torelli group is important because it helps us to better understand the symmetries and properties of string theory. By studying the non-trivial diffeomorphisms, we can gain insight into how strings behave and interact with each other.

3. How does the Torelli group relate to the moduli space of Riemann surfaces?

The Torelli group is closely connected to the moduli space of Riemann surfaces, which is a mathematical space that represents all possible shapes and topologies of a surface. The Torelli group acts on this space by preserving the physical properties of a string, making it a useful tool for studying the moduli space.

4. What are some applications of studying the Torelli group in string theory?

Studying the Torelli group can have various applications in string theory. For example, it can help us understand the dynamics of strings in different spacetime dimensions, or the behavior of strings in the presence of certain background fields. It can also have implications for the development of new string theories and the search for a unified theory of physics.

5. Are there any open questions or challenges in understanding the Torelli group?

Yes, there are still many open questions and challenges in understanding the Torelli group. One major challenge is finding a complete and rigorous mathematical description of this group. Additionally, there are ongoing debates and investigations into the role of the Torelli group in various aspects of string theory, such as string dualities and the emergence of spacetime from string interactions.