1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toroid shape Electro-Mag question

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    I have a difficult probelm to solve:

There is a dougnut shape (toroidal coil) with N turns of wire wrapped around it. Current I flows in the wire. THe cross section of the 'doughnut' is square with height h. I am meant to use ampere's law to prove that the magnetic field at a radius r from the centre (half way through the coil) is given by:

B = uNI/2pi*r (u = permittivity)

SO far I have that ampere's law says that the integral around a closed path of the Magnetic field is equal to the permittivity times the current enclosed. How does this translate into the above formula? I am probably just missing something really obvious. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All you have to do is create a closed path within the toroid that loops around the axis at a fixed distance. You can see that the current passing through the loop you just created is NI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?