Torque and Angular Acceleration for a Rigid Body Problem

In summary, a 12.0-kg box attached to a 5.00-kg weight by a thin wire passing over a frictionless pulley is released on a horizontal, frictionless surface. The tension in the wire on both sides of the pulley, the acceleration of the box, and the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the axle exerts on the pulley must be determined. Using free body diagrams and equations, it is determined that both tensions create a torque, with their difference being the total torque. However, important details regarding the wire and pulley must be considered.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

A 12.0-kg box resting on a horizontal, frictionless surface is attached to a 5.00-kg weight by a thin, light wire that passes over a frictionless pulley. The pulley has the shape of a uniform solid disk of mass 2.00kg and diameter 0.500m. After the system is released, find (a) The tension in the wire on both sides of the pulley, (b)the acceleartion of the box, and (c)the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the axle exerts on the pulley.

Homework Equations

Torque=R (cross) F = I \alpha
Newton's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with free body diagrams and writing out equations. For mass 1, the 12 kg box on the table, the only forces acting in the x direction are T1. On the hanging mass, m2, the only forces are the weight of the hanging mass and T2. I tried to figure out the torque about the pulley, using τ=I \alpha. I=.5mr2 and \alpha = a/r, so Torque = .5mr2*(a/r). However, I don't really know what to do from there. I figure both of the tensions create a torque, but I'm not sure what I need to do from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yosty22! :smile:
Yosty22 said:
I figure both of the tensions create a torque …

That's correct. :smile:

Find the torque from each tension …

their difference is the total torque that you've just found. :wink:

Oh, duh. Thanks a lot, tiny-tim. Much appreciated. :)

Fwiw, there are a couple of important details missing from the problem statement:
- That the wire is horizontal from the 12kg block to the pulley.
- That the pulley is only frictionless in relation to its axle; in relation to the wire it has unlimited(?) friction.

I would suggest using the equations provided in the problem and applying them to the given scenario. First, you can use Newton's Second Law, F=ma, to find the acceleration of the system. Since the system is released, it will experience a net force in the direction of the weight of the hanging mass, which can be calculated using F=mg. This force will cause the system to accelerate in the same direction.

Next, you can use the equations for torque, τ=Iα and τ=rF, to find the tension in the wire and the force exerted on the pulley by the axle. The torque created by the weight of the hanging mass can be calculated using τ=mgr, and the torque created by the tension in the wire can be calculated using τ=Tr, where T is the tension in the wire.

To find the tension in the wire, you can set the two torque equations equal to each other and solve for T. This will give you the tension on both sides of the pulley. To find the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the axle, you can use trigonometric functions to break down the force into its components.

Overall, it is important to carefully analyze the forces and torques acting on the system and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown quantities. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each object in the system to visualize the forces and torques.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of a rigid body. This means that a greater torque will result in a greater angular acceleration, and vice versa.

3. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size even when subject to external forces. This means that all particles in the object move together in a rigid manner, without any deformation.

4. How is the moment of inertia related to torque and angular acceleration?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is directly proportional to torque and inversely proportional to angular acceleration. This means that a higher moment of inertia will result in a lower angular acceleration for a given torque, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque and angular acceleration for a rigid body problem?

Torque and angular acceleration are important concepts in many fields, including mechanical engineering, physics, and sports. Some examples of real-world applications include calculating the force required to turn a bolt using a wrench, determining the acceleration of a spinning top, and analyzing the forces involved in a gymnast's routine on the uneven bars.