Understanding the Relationship Between Friction and Torque

In summary, the conversation explores the relationship between friction and torque. The participants debate whether friction can cause torque or simply increase the required torque for an object to move. They also discuss the differences between friction and other applied forces, and how they manifest in mechanics. Ultimately, it is concluded that friction does not cause torque, but rather affects the required torque for an object to move.
killerdoxie
can friction cause torque?

Physics news on Phys.org
killerdoxie said:

Do you have any ideas? If I fall off my bicycle and roll down a paved street, what slows down my spinning (and gives me all those bruises)?

well, the question was on a test, and we were having a debate in class today about it.

I think no, that friction cannot cause torque, because friction is a reaction, something has to be applied for it to happen. A book sitting by itself does not have friction, but as soon as I push against the book there is friction. The same is true for normal force, I believe, because if i am standing up, the floor pushes back up on me (normal force), but the space two feet in front of me has no normal force since nothing is pushing down on it.

But think about the definition of torque. [tex]\tau = F \times r[/tex] so under what circumstances could a force cause torque? You're right, forces come in pairs (per Newton's third law) but what makes friction different from any other "applied force" like something pushing against a book?

Last edited:
well, since friction is a reactionary force, it doesn't cause the displacement, the other force does, so if r=0, then how can it cause torque?

Sorry, but you are incorrect. In SpaceTiger's example, positive torque is undergone while rolling down the hill but the kinetic friction by the ground also causes a torque to counter the positive torque. The torque by friction is negative (positive/negative is ambiguous, but the two torques are in the opposite directions), causing the rotating SpaceTiger's angular acceleration, and therefore velocity, to decrease and eventually become zero.

killerdoxie said:
Both involve forces, but they are completely separate manifestations of mechanics.

Friction is an undesirable dissipative force encountered where two masses interact, generally by virture of shear forces, i.e. the force is applied parallel with the surface of a solid. Friction occurs in liquids and gases by virtue of atomic collisions and/or adhesion.

See z-components example for torque. Torque is a force applied with a moment.

A net (nonzero) force causes acceleration (or deceleration), while a zero force, i.e. a couple of forces of equal magntide by opposite direction would not provide acceleration, but would provide tensile or compressive loading (and pressure, which = force/area). Similarly, a net nonzero torque produces angular acceleration, while a net zero torque would provide some internal shearing forces (stresses) in a solid object.

As for torque and friction, consider the example of a shaft in a hole (bore). If the static friction exceeds the applied torque, the shaft will not move. Only when the applied torque exceeds the friction between the surfaces of the shaft and bore, will it turn. So in that sense, friction increases the 'required' torque, but does not 'cause' it. The force applied at some distance (moment arm) causes the torque.

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between Friction and Torque

1. Can friction cause torque?

Yes, friction can cause torque. Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate or spin around an axis. When an object is in contact with a surface, friction can act on the object in a direction perpendicular to the surface. This frictional force can create a torque on the object, causing it to rotate.

2. How does friction create torque?

Friction creates torque by exerting a force on an object in a direction perpendicular to the surface. This force creates a lever arm, which is the distance between the point where the force is applied and the axis of rotation. The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque.

3. Can torque be increased or decreased by friction?

Yes, torque can be increased or decreased by friction. The magnitude of the torque depends on the magnitude of the frictional force and the length of the lever arm. If the frictional force increases, the torque will also increase. Similarly, if the lever arm is longer, the torque will be greater.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect torque?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the level of friction between two surfaces. It can affect torque by determining the magnitude of the frictional force. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger frictional force, which can result in a greater torque. However, the coefficient of friction also depends on the materials and surfaces in contact, as well as the presence of any lubricants.

5. Can friction cause both positive and negative torque?

Yes, friction can cause both positive and negative torque. Positive torque is when the object rotates in the same direction as the applied force, while negative torque is when the object rotates in the opposite direction. Depending on the direction of the frictional force and the position of the lever arm, friction can create both positive and negative torque on an object.