Torque Calculation without a gauge

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the shaft power of a vertical turbine using dead weight blocks. The process involves fixing a lever arm to the generator casing and measuring the torque and angular velocity to calculate the power. The conversation also touches on the inconsistency of measuring RPM without any load on the turbine and the importance of finding the peak power operating point. Additionally, the use of water pressure and flow rate to calculate power is mentioned.
dilipbhanu
Hi
How can I measure, shaft power (watts or HP) of a vertical turbine using dead weight blocks

Turbine diameter - 18 inches
RPM - 450 ( Zero Load)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mount generator casing on bearings so it can rotate through a small angle.
Fix lever arm to generator casing.
Add rope from lever arm over pulley to dead weight.
Measure rpm an convert to angular velocity

Dead weight * length of lever arm = torque

Power = torque * angular velocity

Likes billy_joule
Thanks a ton. A little more help.

My Turbine is a reaction turbine of 6 inch diameter. It rotates at 2500 RPM generating 15N.m of Torque. The mentioned RPM is measured for shaft rotating (without coupling it to any other machine). Once a Generator is coupled, what will be the final RPM. Will the RPM reduce ? If yes, is there a formula to calculate the final RPM ?

dilipbhanu said:
My Turbine is a reaction turbine of 6 inch diameter. It rotates at 2500 RPM generating 15N.m of Torque. The mentioned RPM is measured for shaft rotating (without coupling it to any other machine).

That statement is inconsistent. If there is no load on the turbine it cannot generate any torque (or power for that matter).

What usually/sometimes happens is that as you increase the load the torque increases and the rpm reduces. If you use the right units.. Power = Torque * rpm. So you really need a graph of Torque vs rpm to workout the best operating point (peak power) for the turbine.

Perhaps 2500rpm @ 15N.m is the max power operating point?

Last edited:
The RPM has been read with a non contact tachometer, while the Torque has been calculated theatrically based on the input forces (Water Pressure and Flowrate)

Motive fluid = Water
Pump Gauge Pressure = 29.86 PSI
Flow rate = Water leaving the turbine = 10LPS @ 19.70 m/s (linear Velocity)

Force = 10*19.697 = 196.95 Newtons
Turbine radius (arm length) = 3 inches ( 0.0762 meters)

Torque = 196.95*0.0762 = 15 N.m
Angular Velocity = 258.49 rad/sec
RPM = 2468

Power = Toque*rad/sec = 15*258.49 = 3877 Watts

Is my Torque calculation correct or have i missed something.

Perhaps I miss understand your calculation but force isn't mass * velocity.

It might be easier to use...

Power = pressure * flow rate

..to calculate the power available.

Which I make 2058 Watts.

If the turbine utput isn't connected to anything then this isn't the output power. It's the power needed to spin the turbine with no load. Eg its the power loss.

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is important because it helps us understand how much force is required to rotate or turn an object.

2. Can torque be calculated without a gauge?

Yes, torque can be calculated without a gauge by using a mathematical equation that takes into account the length of the lever arm and the amount of force applied.

3. How do you calculate torque without a gauge?

To calculate torque without a gauge, use the equation torque = force x lever arm length. Force can be measured in pounds or newtons, and lever arm length should be measured in feet or meters.

4. Is it accurate to calculate torque without a gauge?

Calculating torque without a gauge can provide an estimate of the amount of torque, but it may not be as accurate as using a torque gauge. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the measurements and the condition of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating torque without a gauge?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating torque without a gauge. The measurements used in the calculation must be precise and the object must be in good condition. Additionally, the equation may not take into account other factors that can affect torque, such as friction.