Torque calculation based on weight and wheel size

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a formula to calculate the torque required to run two wheels supporting a certain weight. The necessary information includes the total weight of the vehicle, wheel diameter, and desired velocity. The primary function of the machine is not motion, so a moderate acceleration is required. To calculate the torque, the rolling resistance and drag forces must be measured. It is suggested to look for similar machines with motors to determine the necessary torque. Additionally, the use of a geared motor may be necessary, depending on the application. A motor sizing tool was used to determine the torque requirement of 400Nm at an angular velocity of 5.5 rad/s. It is recommended to choose a motor that exceeds these specifications and fits within
namith11
hey,

So i need a formula that will help me calculate the torque required to run 2 wheels that support a certain weight. The things i know are follows:

Total weight of the vehicle: 650-700kgs
Wheel Diameter: 16-17 inches
Average Velocity i will require the vehicle to move at: 10m/s

Basically, I want to choose a motor that will power the two wheels and will provide forward and backward motion and a switch for on/off action. To do that, i will first need to calculate the torque I require. If I left out any details please let me know:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

The torque required for a constant speed is just that required to overcome losses - i.e. friction, deformation of the tires etc. Any extra torque results in acceleration. It does not matter if you are going backwards or forwards - any differences will be due to the gearbox.

What you need is the maximum power required - and, probably, the mass of the wheels.

hey simon,
Thank you:) So basically this set up is required for basic movement of a machine with the overall weight i mentioned. I am not really sure what kind of acceleration ill need, but the primary function of the machine is not motion so acceleration required will be moderate.
Also, I don't know the power required to run the set up. I want to know how i can calculate it. What other parameters do i need to calculate the torque?

hey simon,
Thank you:) So basically this set up is required for basic movement of a machine with the overall weight i mentioned. I am not really sure what kind of acceleration ill need, but the primary function of the machine is not motion so acceleration required will be moderate.
Also, I don't know the power required to run the set up. I want to know how i can calculate it. What other parameters do i need to calculate the torque?

Define "moderate"... working out the power to just move the machine along requires very detailed information about the machine. This is the sort of thing that is usually measured: push it with something else up to a known speed and then let it free-wheel to a standstill - the distance tells you about the drag forces, but the kinetic energy over time can back-of-envelope the minimum power you need.

The usual trick is to deliberately overpower whatever you want to drive, and add a throttle.
Any engine with that power or more should keep it rolling - the minimum torque would just be to overcome the initial rolling resistance - which you work out from the minimum force needed to start the thing moving.

That's with a direct drive - there are complications if a gearbox is involved.
I take it you don't want to post a schematic?

Likes 1 person
Okay so considering i want to move a container containing various components that weighs a total of 650 kgs, what are the specifics i require to calculate how much torque i require? The machine is basically some sort of medical equipment that is mobile so I am tring to figure out what kind of motor i have to buy to provide basic motion. I need it to be powerful enough to move from one point to another. So i want to know how i have to go about this task. Please excuse my limited understanding of these concepts. I am kinda new to this:)

You want the rolling resistance and the drag - like I said.
These are things that you measure.

rolling resistance: the force needed to get the object moving - depends on things like how much the wheels deform and the viscosity of lubricants when they are cold - as well as the specifics of it's construction.

drag: the resultant retarding force through the center of mass - but you can get away with the rate of energy loss when free-rolling without power.

If there were no rolling resistance (hardened steel wheels on a similar track say) and no drag (magnetic bearings and operated in a vacuum) then you could get it moving (albeit invisibly slowly) with the slightest nudge, and it would keep moving for ever.

The easiest thing to do is look for similar weight machines that already have motors and see what they use - that way someone else has already done the hard work.

If you loaded the whole thing on an electric wheelchair - would that move it about OK enough for you?
Then use an electric wheelchair motor.

Okay thanks a lot for the info! Really helped. I wanted to ask you... Also, based on my application, should i go with a geared motor or not?. If yes then why?

I used a motor sizing tool to determine the kind of torque i require and here's what i got:
Angular Velocity= 5.5 rad/s
Torque: 400Nm
so based on the information i have, how do i go about choosing the type of motor?
Thanks.

I used a motor sizing tool to determine the kind of torque i require and here's what i got:
so based on the information i have, how do i go about choosing the type of motor?
Thanks.

YOu are going to find advise very pragmatic and down-to-Earth:

namith11 said:
Okay thanks a lot for the info! Really helped. I wanted to ask you... Also, based on my application, should i go with a geared motor or not?. If yes then why?
You should use whatever motor you can afford that fits your requirements (see below)

namith11 said:
Thanks.
You should choose a motor that you can afford that beats those specs.
The specs are usually written on the motor someplace.

Okay so at the moment i need a motor that is compact cause I am limited in terms of space. Money isn't a problem at the moment. I just want to get an idea of the kind of motor i require so i look for vendors. There are so many different kinds of electric motor, choosing one that suits my needs isn't an easy task. Any help would be much appreciated:)

Since money isn't an object, you go to an electric motor manufacturer and tell them what you need.

Hey thanks for all the help. I figured out what exactly my specs are. I have one last question. Do i go with a Permanent Magnet DC Motor or a Servo Motor and how exactly are they different from each other?
Thanks!

Hey thanks for all the help. I figured out what exactly my specs are. I have one last question. Do i go with a Permanent Magnet DC Motor or a Servo Motor and how exactly are they different from each other?
Thanks!

Go with the cheaper one.

The servomotor has additional engineering so you can control the angular position precisely but you don't really need that control. All else remaining equal - get the other one.

Okay so here's the thing. I need the trolley to move in the forward direction with a slight push and in the backward direction with a slight pull. So by applying slight force in either front or backward direction, the motor takes over and the trolley moves. I want to know if this is possible and if so, how can i go about achieving it?

It can, there are a number of different ways - i.e. use a friction block on the wheels with a much higher static than kinetic friction - some sort of switch on the wheels detects the initial direction.

But it is simpler just to use a dead-mans switch on the handle with a thumb switch for forward/backwards.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force or the ability to cause rotation. It is commonly expressed in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. In the case of weight and wheel size, the force applied would be the weight and the distance would be the radius of the wheel.

3. What is the relationship between weight and torque?

The relationship between weight and torque is directly proportional. This means that as weight increases, torque also increases. Similarly, if weight decreases, torque decreases. This is because the greater the weight, the more force is required to cause rotation.

4. How does wheel size affect torque?

Wheel size also affects torque as it determines the distance from the point of rotation. A larger wheel size will result in a greater distance, which in turn will increase the torque. On the other hand, a smaller wheel size will result in a shorter distance and therefore, less torque.

5. Why is torque calculation important for vehicles?

Torque calculation is important for vehicles because it helps determine the amount of force required to move the vehicle and its components. It also plays a crucial role in the performance and efficiency of the vehicle, as well as its handling and acceleration capabilities.