Torque Calculation on a Spinning Wheel

In summary, the conversation is about using spinning wheels to accelerate a foam ball for a project. The output motor stats such as rpm and torque are known and it is connected to a pulley, sprocket, and shaft. The speaker is asking for help with calculating the torque from the motor to the spinning wheel. They have tried using the formula T = F * d but are unsure of how the torque varies across the system. The main concern is gearing the system to produce the desired speed and the momentum of the entire system will also play a role in launching the foam ball. The speaker clarifies that it is only two wheels on one axle and asks for help assuming one wheel for now.
Thundagere
Hi,
For a project, I'm using spinning wheels to accelerate a foam ball. I know the output motor stats (rpm), torque, etc. It's connected by a pulley to a sprocket, which is then connected by a shaft to the spinning wheel. I'm wondering, how would I do the calcs from the motor to the spinning wheel? It's pretty urgent, so any help is appreciated.
The formula's I'[ve tried are T = F * d, but I'm not sure how the torque varies across the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as there's some minimal amount of torque sufficient to get the wheel up to speed in a reasonable time, it doesn't matter. The momentum of the entire system, will be more of a factor than the torque from the motor when launching a foam ball. The main issue will be to gear the system so the wheel spins at the rpm you want to produce the speed you want.

You mention wheels, so I assume this is two sets of motor, pulley, wheel?

Last edited:
No, it's two wheels on one axle, but I can adjust that...let's assume 1 for now. Thanks!

Related to Torque Calculation on a Spinning Wheel

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the amount of rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect a spinning wheel?

Torque is what causes a spinning wheel to rotate. The greater the torque applied to the wheel, the faster it will spin.

3. What factors affect the torque on a spinning wheel?

The torque on a spinning wheel is affected by the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation, and the mass of the wheel itself. The shape and size of the wheel can also affect the torque.

4. How do I calculate the torque on a spinning wheel?

To calculate the torque on a spinning wheel, you will need to know the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation, and the mass of the wheel. Once you have these values, you can use the formula torque = force x distance to calculate the torque.

5. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs). These units represent the amount of force applied to an object at a specific distance from the point of rotation.