1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque change of a rod with unequal masses

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    A 1.0 kg ball and a 2.0 kg ball are connected by a 1.0-m-long rigid, massless rod. The rod is rotating cw about its center of mass at 20 rpm. What torque will bring the balls to a halt in 5.0 s?

I used (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) to solve for the center of mass (2/3 meters from the 1kg weight). Then I used that to solve for the moment of inertia, using I= m1r1^2+m2r2^2, and I got I=1. I know [tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\tau[/tex]/I, and [tex]\alpha[/tex]=([tex]\omega[/tex]_final - [tex]\omega[/tex]_initial) / time. I plugged in my known values (0 rps, 1/3rps, and 5 seconds, respectively) and got -0.1333 for [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Then I multiplied [tex]\alpha[/tex] by I and got -0.1333, which is wrong. I don't know where I screwed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the calculation for the moment of inertia, you used the wrong radius for the wrong mass. The (2/3 m)^2 should be multiplied by 1.0 kg.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    It doesn't seem to work... I took 1*(2/3)^2 + 2*(1/3)^2 and got (2/3). Then I multiplied -0.1333 by (2/3) (angular acceleration times I) and got 0.0888, which is still wrong.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not the angular velocity, that is simply the frequencey, you need the angular frequency/velcoity.

6. Jan 27, 2008 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh crap...how did I miss that? I didn't understand what Hootenanny was saying until I realized that his / was just a slash, and not a division sign. Anyway to the OP, yes it's true...you're out by a factor of 2*pi as far as your angular velocity goes.

7. Jan 27, 2008 #6
    Ah, yes. I multiplied 1/3rps by 2*pi and everything worked. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?