Torque change of a rod with unequal masses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Metalsonic75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Rod Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
Metalsonic75
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
A 1.0 kg ball and a 2.0 kg ball are connected by a 1.0-m-long rigid, massless rod. The rod is rotating cw about its center of mass at 20 rpm. What torque will bring the balls to a halt in 5.0 s?

I used (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) to solve for the center of mass (2/3 meters from the 1kg weight). Then I used that to solve for the moment of inertia, using I= m1r1^2+m2r2^2, and I got I=1. I know [tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\tau[/tex]/I, and [tex]\alpha[/tex]=([tex]\omega[/tex]_final - [tex]\omega[/tex]_initial) / time. I plugged in my known values (0 rps, 1/3rps, and 5 seconds, respectively) and got -0.1333 for [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Then I multiplied [tex]\alpha[/tex] by I and got -0.1333, which is wrong. I don't know where I screwed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the calculation for the moment of inertia, you used the wrong radius for the wrong mass. The (2/3 m)^2 should be multiplied by 1.0 kg.
 
Last edited:
It doesn't seem to work... I took 1*(2/3)^2 + 2*(1/3)^2 and got (2/3). Then I multiplied -0.1333 by (2/3) (angular acceleration times I) and got 0.0888, which is still wrong.
 
Metalsonic75 said:
It doesn't seem to work... I took 1*(2/3)^2 + 2*(1/3)^2 and got (2/3).
Metalsonic75 said:
Then I multiplied -0.1333 by (2/3) (angular acceleration times I) and got 0.0888, which is still wrong.
That is not the angular velocity, that is simply the frequencey, you need the angular frequency/velcoity.
 
Oh crap...how did I miss that? I didn't understand what Hootenanny was saying until I realized that his / was just a slash, and not a division sign. Anyway to the OP, yes it's true...you're out by a factor of 2*pi as far as your angular velocity goes.
 
Ah, yes. I multiplied 1/3rps by 2*pi and everything worked. Thank you!