What is the difference between foot pounds and poundals?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about the conversion factor between Newton-meters and foot pounds, with the question being which abbreviation represents foot pounds and the difference between foot-pound and poundal feet. The answer is that 1 ft*Lbf = 1.356 N*m and the distinction between pound-force and poundal. The conversion is also explained.
Jdo300
Hello All,

This is sort of a dumb question but I'm looking around for the conversion factor between Newton-meters and foot pounds. I looked around at some of the many conversion calculators and some use abbreviations like lbf feet or poundal feet. Which one is actually foot pounds and what's the difference if there is one?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
1 ft*Lbf = 1.356 N*m

As a note about conversions, if you know the conversions between Lbf to Newtons and feet to meters, then you can simply multiply them to get the conversion you are looking for.

[tex](1 ft-Lb_f)(\frac{1 N}{.225 Lb_f})(\frac{.305 m}{1 ft}) = 1.356 N-m[/tex]

I always use the Lbf notation which indicates pounds force as opposed to Lbm which is pounds mass. Most of the time it never matters between the two. I think it is good practice to make the distinction though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Is there a difference between the terms "foot-pound" and "poundal feet"?

Thanks,
Jason O

The definition of a poundal is the unit of force equal to the force that produces an acceleration of one foot per second per second on a mass of one pound. It is not the same as a pound-force as above. The conversion is

1 pdl = 0.1383 N = (1/32.2) Lbf

1. What is the formula for calculating torque conversion factor?

The formula for calculating torque conversion factor is force multiplied by distance.

2. How is torque conversion factor measured?

Torque conversion factor is measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb).

3. Can torque conversion factor be negative?

Yes, torque conversion factor can be negative if the force and distance are in opposite directions.

4. What is the significance of torque conversion factor in science?

Torque conversion factor is important in science because it allows us to convert between different units of torque, making it easier to compare and analyze data.

5. Are there any common applications of torque conversion factor?

Yes, torque conversion factor is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to calculate and measure the rotational force of objects.