1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque, finding max distance, vertical/horizontal components

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    I have three questions left to do and its been very hard because I am out of state with the family and had forgotten to pack my physics book. I really need help on this, I can't find any examples from typing in parts of the question. If you could help me on how to solve this and the equations used, I'd really appreciate it.

1). A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N. What is the maximum possible distance from the wall at which mass M can be placed before the wire breaks?

2.)A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N.With M placed at this maximum distance what is the horizontal component of the force exerted on the bar by the pin at A?

3). The third question is similar to the second but asks for vertical component.
    A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N.With M placed at this maximum distance what is the vertical component of the force exerted on the bar by the pin at A?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Maimunky! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    You'll have to start doing questions without books to work from, sometime :wink:

now's as good a time as any! :biggrin:

draw a diagram, use all the tricks you know (taking horizontal or vertical components, taking moments, …), and see if anything works …

start with 1), and show us what equations you get :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook