Torque has been a difficult chapter

• Thread starter dan987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the net external force and torque for a beam with machinery weights. The individual is struggling with setting up the equation for torque and solving for the force FB. After realizing a mistake in the equation, they are able to solve for FB and then FA using the pivot method.
dan987
I'm currently working on two homework problems that are giving me a bit of trouble. Torque has been a difficult chapter for me. I'm going to worry about just this one for now:

Question 1:
Calculate FA and FB for the beam shown in Fig. 9-49. The downward forces represent the weights of machinery on the beam. Assume the beam is uniform and has a mass of 210 kg.

Fig. 9-49 shows:
http://grab.by/Byt

I know that the net external force must be zero: SUM of Forces = 0
I also know that the net external torque must be zero: SUM of Torque = 0

So I've set up my equation for Torque, where T is Torque:

T = Force x Distance from the Pivot

So if I make my pivot the point at FA, shouldn't I have:

0 = - T(4300N x 2.0M) - T(3100N x 6.0M) - T(2200N x 9.0M) + Tboard + TFB

Solving for the Torque of the Board:
Tboard = 210Kg * 9.8 m/s2 * 5M = 10290

Plugging in all the Torques, 10FB being 10 (distance from FA) x Force (FB)
0 = -8600 - 18600 - 19800 + 10290 + 10FB

When I solve for FB however, and plug that force back into the equation, I'm not getting zero. I'm lost as to where I'm going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You missed the minus sign on T_board. The torque is in the same direction as the machinery loads torque. The plus or minus sign will bite you every time.

Okay, I see what I did there. So then:

57290 = 10FB
so 5729 = FBedit: I figured it out:
Then I just go to the other side and make the FB pivot at zero, so that:

0 = (2200 x 1M) + (3100 x 4M) + (4300 x 8M) + T_Board - 10FA
0 = 2200 + 12400 + 34400 + 10290 - 10FA
FA = 5929

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Related to Torque has been a difficult chapter

1. What is torque and why is it a difficult concept to understand?

Torque is a measure of the rotation force on an object, calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. It is a difficult concept to understand because it involves both force and distance, and it is not always intuitive how these factors affect the rotational motion of an object.

2. What are some real-world examples of torque?

Some common examples of torque include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or riding a bike. In each of these situations, a force is applied at a distance from the pivot point, resulting in rotational motion.

3. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's rotational velocity. Torque is directly related to angular acceleration, as a larger torque will result in a greater change in rotational velocity.

4. What are the units of torque and how is it measured?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or pound-feet (lb-ft). Torque is typically measured using a torque wrench, which applies a specific amount of force at a certain distance from the pivot point.

5. How can understanding torque be useful in everyday life?

Understanding torque can be useful in many everyday situations, such as opening jars, using tools, or even playing sports. It can also be helpful in understanding how machines and mechanical systems work, such as car engines or bicycles.