Torus, two graphs and their equivalency

In summary, the conversation discusses two graphs defined for a two-dimensional torus and whether they are equivalent at a specific point. The concept of equivalence of graphs at a point is explained using the coordinate function. The speaker asks for help in understanding this concept and asks for suggestions on how to solve the problem. They also mention that they have searched for information on this topic but have not been able to find much. They are looking for suggestions on where to find more information on this topic.
parsifal

Homework Statement

Two graphs defined for a two dimensional torus:
[tex]f_1(t) = (\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(a\ +\ b\ sin\ t),\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(a\ +\ b\ sin\ t),b\ cos\ t),\
t \in (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]
[tex]f_2(t) = (a\ cos(t+\frac{\pi}{4}),a\ sin(t+\frac{\pi}{4}),b),\
t \in (-\frac{\pi}{4},\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

Then [tex]f_1(0)=f_2(0)=(\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}},b)[/tex]

Are the graphs equivalent at a point [tex](\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}},b)[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Graphs f1 and f2 on manifold M are equivalent at a point m (m is in an open group U), if for some chart fc(q1,...,qn): U -> Rn of manifold M
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}q^i(f_1(t))=\frac{d}{dt}q^i(f_2(t))\ |_{t=0}[/tex]

I also know that q is a coordinate function:
[tex]q^i:=pr^i \circ f_c[/tex] where the projection [tex]pr^i:R^n \rightarrow R, (x^1,...,x^n) \mapsto x^i[/tex]

I'm also told that if [tex]q^i:=pr^i \circ f_c[/tex] then f can be written as: [tex]f_c=(q^1,...,q^n)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't actually give anything of my own to go with this. Last week I posted https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=159154 relating to this problem, but as anyone hasn't been able to comprehend my output, I'm hoping that someone could help me with the problem directly.

So the problem is I really don't understand the behaviour of the coordinate function in this, but I'll happily read any kind of suggestions (using the method mentioned in 2. or not) for solving the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No answers. It's not my intention to be impatient, however. Instead, I was wondering if this whole "equivalency of graphs" is not as widely known as I though. My friend majoring in math has never heard of it, and it was actually presented to me on a physics course (not that this is a proof of anything, but got me thinking).

I tried to search the internet using the relevant words as keywords, but could not find anything where this equivalency were the substantial part of the document. So possibly I don't know the correct terms to search with (as I'm very unfamiliar with English math vocabulary). Could anybody give me any hints on which kind of math material such a topic could be covered?

Last edited:

1. What is a torus?

A torus is a three-dimensional mathematical shape that resembles a donut. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis in three-dimensional space.

2. What are two graphs?

Two graphs are visual representations of data or mathematical relationships. They consist of vertices or points connected by edges or lines.

3. How are torus and two graphs related?

The vertices and edges of a torus can be represented as a graph, where each vertex represents a point on the torus and each edge represents a connection between two points. This graph can also be used to understand the properties and relationships of the torus.

4. What is equivalency?

In mathematics, equivalency refers to two or more objects or concepts having the same value or meaning. In the context of a torus and two graphs, equivalency means that the two representations have the same properties and can be used interchangeably.

5. How can I prove the equivalency of a torus and two graphs?

To prove the equivalency of a torus and two graphs, you can use mathematical proofs and equations to show that the properties and relationships of both representations are equivalent. This can involve determining the number of vertices and edges, calculating distances and angles, and showing that the same transformations can be applied to both representations.