Average Total Energies of Isolated Hydrogen Atom's Electron & Proton

In summary, the conversation discusses the average total energies of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton separately. The person asking the question came across various equations but decided to ask if the information had already been approximated. They clarify that as free particles, the electron and proton only have kinetic energy and the ground-state energy of hydrogen is -13.6 eV. The person then further explains that they are asking about the total energy of a stable proton-electron pair in a ground state.
dirtyd33
I wanted to know the average total energies of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton separately. I came across a lot of equations I could try to use, but I figured I'd ask to see if this information has already been approximated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "average total energies"? As free particles, all they have is kinetic energy, which is whatever you want it to be, since it depends on your inertial frame of reference.

The ground-state energy of hydrogen, which is relative two stationary, infinitely separated particles, is -13.6 eV.

What I meant was, if there was a single stable proton-electron pair (in a ground state), then what would the total energy of the electron (meaning kinetic, rest mass, magnetic field, etc.) and likewise for the proton.

1. What is the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton?

The average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton is -13.6 eV. This value is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton negative?

The negative value of the average total energy is due to the attractive force between the positively charged proton and negatively charged electron. In a stable hydrogen atom, these two particles balance each other out, resulting in a net negative energy.

3. How does the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton change with different energy levels?

The average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton is directly related to the energy level of the electron. As the electron moves to higher energy levels, the average total energy also increases, resulting in a less negative value.

4. Can the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton be measured?

Yes, the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton can be measured using spectroscopy techniques. By analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the hydrogen atom, the energy levels can be determined and the average total energy can be calculated.

5. How does the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton relate to the stability of the atom?

The more negative the average total energy of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton, the more stable the atom is. This is because a higher negative energy indicates a stronger attraction between the electron and proton, resulting in a more tightly bound and stable atom.