Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total internal reflection for a long time

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Imagine a square prism made from some material with such an index of refraction and surrounded by a substance of such index of refraction so that light rays entering the prism and hitting one of the internal sides of the prism at an angle of incidence 45° experience total internal reflection. And since the internally reflected light rays reflect at an angle of also 45°, and the prism is a square one (90°) ,they also get internally reflected at the adjacent side of the square prism. And this goes on until all the light is slowly absorbed by the material of the prism.

I know it's the same idea as the optical fibers, but I am wondering what we would see in such a prism. Will light going in a loop show interference patterns? and if it doesn't, How bright are the trapped rays going to be combined before the first of them is absorbed ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3
    Please note that in my question i assume the incident ray to be from a monochromatic source with great enough coherent time (say a very good laser ).

5. Jan 24, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then yes you might get interference.

6. Jan 24, 2014 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Google "Whispering Gallery modes".

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook