1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total power of resistors in a circuit

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this problem we are asked to calculate the total power of the resistors in the circuit below.
    First.JPG
    2. Relevant equations

##P=I^2R##

3. The attempt at a solution
    My solution goes like this:
    PT=PR1+PR2+PR3+PR4+PR5
    I can find PR1 and PR5 immediately from the given current generators:
    PR1=IG1^2*R1
    PR5=IG2^2*R5
    Second.JPG
    Since i know those powers one i dont need the current generators and can transform the right and left sides to thevenin equivalents:
    Clearly
    ET1=-ET2
    ET1=E1=24V and RT1=R1=12Ω (i hope i got this right)
    Third.JPG
    Forth.JPG
    Now we can see that we have this type of situation. I transformed the resistor 3 as in the picture and can divide the circuits into 2 and the powers of the resistors will the sum of two.
    Fifth.JPG
    I will be solving the left one:
    Re=R3R2/(R3+R2)=4Ω
    I=ET1/(Re+R1) = 24/18 = 4/3 A
    and the power of two element are P3'+P2=Re*(4/3)^2 and that times 2 is the total power.
    Something is wrong here. The result should yield 312 W and i just dont get that. What is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

PR1 and PR5 are correct.

Now, what are the voltages across R2, R3 and R4 ? ( Forget about Thevenin and so on )

4. Feb 1, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I'm not liking your Thevenin equivalents. In particular, I don't like the Thevenin Resistance value. What happens when you suppress both sources in the sub-circuit that you're converting?

I also think you're missing out on further opportunities to directly calculate powers in certain resistors. You should have a formula for power when you know the voltage across a resistor, as well as one for when you know the current through it.

5. Feb 1, 2017 #4
    Oh, how dumb of me. I have the voltage across R2 and R4 and it's 24V for the R2 and -24 for the R4 so the voltage across R3 is -48V right? If so the formula is ##P=\frac{U^2}{R}##

6. Feb 1, 2017 #5
    Is the above corrrect?

7. Feb 1, 2017 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted