Is Calculating Work Done by Gravity as Simple as It Seems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Universal Law of Gravitation and the relationship between the force of an object and its radial distance from Earth. It also mentions the calculation of work done by gravity and the concept of radial distance approaching 0. However, the validity of this approach is questioned and the suggestion is made to use limits of r_initial and r_final instead. The idea of superimposing objects with 0 radial distance is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a reminder to consider the "shell theorem" for more accurate calculations.
Martin23
So I was thinking about the Universal Law of Gravitation, and the force of an object depends on the radial distance from Earth for simplicity. As an object travels to the center of the Earth the Fg increases as the radial distance decreases.F=(G*m*m*1)/(r^2). Knowing that the Force is not constant, the work done by gravity would be ∫F*dr from lower limit of r to upper limit of 0. Now, if you put the F in terms of r you get ∫[(G*m*m)/(r^2)]*dr from r to 0. As I tried to solve for Work, I arrived at 1/0 and now I am stuck. Was all this valid or just nonsense? If you think about this in vector form 3 dimensions, it is more understandable to me at least. Here is a picture of my work. Help please.

Attachments

• Work.jpg
    Work.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what you mean by r being 0. Are you really taking the limit of integration as the center of Earth? I would think you would want to substitute 0 for the radius of Earth. Or even better, just use r_initial and r_final as your limits, it gives you a more general answer. Then just plug-n-chug for your solution.

oh your right haha. 0 radial distance would be like super imposed on Earth hahaa
they would occupy the same space right? haha ty.

Martin23 said:
As an object travels to the center of the Earth the Fg increases as the radial distance decreases.

No, it doesn't. When the radial distance is less than the Earth's radius, only the mass inside the radial distance "counts" in calculating the gravitational force. Google "shell theorem" for details.

Your thinking about the Universal Law of Gravitation is correct. As an object gets closer to the center of the Earth, the gravitational force increases due to the decrease in radial distance. However, your approach to calculating the work done by gravity is not entirely correct.

The formula for work is W = F * d, where F is the force applied and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In this case, the distance over which the force is applied is not a constant value, as the object is moving closer to the center of the Earth. Therefore, we cannot simply use the formula W = F * d to calculate the work done by gravity.

Instead, we need to use the concept of work as a line integral. This means that we need to integrate the force over the path that the object travels. In this case, as the object moves closer to the center of the Earth, the path it takes is along the radial distance, which is changing. So we need to integrate the force over this changing distance.

The correct formula for calculating the work done by gravity is: W = ∫F(r) * dr, where F(r) is the force at a given radial distance and dr is the change in radial distance.

Therefore, your integral should be: W = ∫[(G * m * m)/(r^2)] * dr from r to 0.

To solve this integral, you need to use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is not valid to simply substitute 0 for r, as this would result in a division by 0.

In vector form, the work done by gravity can be written as W = ∫F(r) * dr, where F(r) is the gravitational force in the radial direction and dr is the change in radial distance. This approach is equivalent to the one described above.

In conclusion, your understanding of the Universal Law of Gravitation is correct, but your approach to calculating the work done by gravity needs to be adjusted. You should use the concept of work as a line integral to correctly calculate the work done by gravity.

1. What is the definition of total work done by gravity?

The total work done by gravity is the amount of energy that is transferred to an object by the force of gravity as the object moves from one point to another.

2. How is the total work done by gravity calculated?

The total work done by gravity is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. Is the total work done by gravity always positive?

No, the total work done by gravity can be positive, negative, or zero. It depends on the direction of the force of gravity and the direction of the object's movement.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the total work done by gravity?

The mass of an object does not affect the total work done by gravity. The total work done is only dependent on the force of gravity and the object's displacement.

5. Can the total work done by gravity be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the total work done by gravity can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or potential energy, depending on the movement and position of the object.