Total work/effort/energy spent to climb a hill

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Stella.Physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hill Work done
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 10K views
Merlin3189 said:
I'm not sure how his muscles pull him up, or how forces come from your body. I can see how you apply forces to other objects, but not how you apply a net force to yourself.
Have you come across Newton's third law?

Anyhow, if I understand your answers, I should be able to run up an icy hill much easier than up a rough hill:
View attachment 97267

the third law says about action and reaction but of course these two are applied to different bodies. like i create and push the ground and the ground pushes back.
also in a theoretical model yes, because in reality you would slide down and the go back and try again so the effort would be much more. on ice there is less friction but then you have the slippery aspect :P and as we know we walk and move around thanks to friction, that's why you can't move up an ice hill because the friction is minimum
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Stella.Physics said:
the third law says about action and reaction but of course these two are applied to different bodies. like i create and push the ground and the ground pushes back.
And I think, the ground pushing back is the forces of friction and normal reaction. You pushing down on the ground is opposed by the ground pushing up on you, and you pushing backwards on the ground is opposed by friction pushing forwards on you. Which is where I start to get concerned about the work we do against friction when walking.

Anyhow, this is getting a bit away from ur original Q. My point was simply that the work done going horizontally was not work against ground friction, but work lifting legs and feet over the ground.