Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Totally fried

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We had a thunderstorm Thursday evening and I think my house got zapped by lightening. I lost two TV's, a VCR, and my cable modem. Of course, the good news is that the cheaper the TV, the less damage it sustained. The best TV doesn't turn on at all, while the picture only fills half the screen and the colors screwed up on the other damaged TV. The cheap ones in the bedrooms didn't sustain any damage at all.

All the surge protectors for electrical power and not a one saw a glimpse of activity. The only thing in common is that anything connected to cable was at risk.

I've never heard of that happening before, although, if a lightening surge can travel through the phone line, then I guess the cable's not much different (I was also pretty sure the cable was buried, but maybe not).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what it sounds like, a surge through your cable line. My TVs are all cheap, so I don't worry about them, but for the cable modem, I connect the cable line through a surge protector. I'm really not sure even that would help in the event of a lightening strike, but figure it at least protects against any spikes in power coming through when the power goes out and comes back on.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the club. Luckily you sustained less damage than I did, but it's still upsetting.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81078&highlight=lightning

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4
    I've been unplugging stuff during storms. Losing two TV's, a VCR, and a cable modem sucks though.

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, geez, you might have to start reading books for entertainment, or, gulp, talk to the other people in the house! :bugeye: :rofl:

I don't think a lot of people really think about the cable line when thinking about unplugging things during storms.

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BobG, in all likelihood your coax shield is not (properly) grounded. Cable companies rarely bother doing that. If it isn't, you should call them and have them ground it. And have them measure resistance to ground when they're done.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  8. Jul 24, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the effectiveness of the home protection units is slight to none. In industry we use real surge protectiion that, in the case of a low power 110VAC line for example, sells for about $1200. The unit is designed to safely explode, which absorbs the energy from the strike.

The best course of action is to unplug everything when lightning is around.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?