Touchscreen input to digital circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a digital circuit that can use input from a touchscreen. The speaker is asking if there is a touchscreen that can be used with a digital logic circuit, even if it wasn't specifically designed for that purpose. They mention the possibility of stripping the cable and wiring it into the circuit. Another person suggests using a company that specializes in touchscreens and can design a custom interface. A link to a Wikipedia article on touchscreens with manufacturer websites at the end is also provided.
Caspian
I'm trying to design a digital circuit which will accept input from a touchscreen. Does anyone know if a touchscreen is manufactured which has input/output cables which are meant to be read by a digital logic circuit? (yes, it'll be a very complicated digital logic circuit).

Even if I can find a touchscreen isn't *meant* to be used like this, but the manufacturer publishes the specs (like the protocol used to display pixels on the screen, or the message sent when the user taps the screen), I may be able to strip cable and wire it into my circuit.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure, but I've used these guys touchscreens before and they will probably design a custom interface if you need it (and want to pay for it).

http://www.d3inc.net/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty good wikipedia.org article on touchscreens, with links to manufacturer's websites at the end:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen

1. How does touchscreen input work?

Touchscreen input uses a layer of capacitive material on the screen that responds to the electrical charge of a human finger. When a finger touches the screen, it creates a distortion in the electrical field, which is detected by the device and interpreted as a touch.

2. What are the advantages of using touchscreen input for digital circuits?

Touchscreen input allows for a more intuitive and user-friendly interface compared to traditional physical buttons or keyboards. It also eliminates the need for extra hardware, making devices more compact and lightweight. Additionally, touchscreen input can support multi-touch gestures, providing more versatility in user interactions.

3. How is touchscreen input converted to digital signals?

The analog signal from the touchscreen is first sampled and digitized using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The digital signals are then processed and decoded by the device's software, which determines the touch location and initiates the appropriate response.

4. Can touchscreen input be affected by external factors?

Yes, touchscreen input can be affected by factors such as moisture, dirt, or electromagnetic interference. These can cause false touches or inaccurate readings. However, manufacturers use various techniques such as coatings and shielding to minimize these effects.

5. Are there any limitations to touchscreen input for digital circuits?

One limitation of touchscreen input is the lack of tactile feedback, which can make it difficult for users to accurately type or select options without looking at the screen. Additionally, touchscreen input may not be suitable for certain environments or tasks that require precise or repeated touches.