Calculating Mass of Solid Using Spherical Coordinates

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem involves calculating the mass of a solid, denoted as W, bounded above by rho=3 and below by phi=pi/3, with a density that is directly proportional to the square of its distance above the xy plane. The use of spherical coordinates is suggested, with the integral being taken over rho from 0 to 3, phi from 0 to pi/3, and theta from 0 to 2pi. The density function is determined to be proportional to z^2, which can be expressed as (rho*cos(phi))^2 in spherical coordinates. The resulting integral should be broken apart into three separate integrals, with the angle in the z and dV parts being the same (the polar
hils0005

Homework Statement

W is the solid bounded above by [tex]\rho[/tex]=3 and below by[tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\pi[/tex]/3, calculate the mass W if the density at each point is directly proportional to the square of its distance above the xy plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a difficult time starting out this problem, I am assuming I need to use spherical coordinates considering the problem is given in terms of rho and phi, however it says bounded above by rho=3 and below by phi =pi/3, I thought phi determined the angle from the z axis to rho??

Any thoughts direction would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
They didn't describe that very well, but it looks to me like they want you to integrate rho from 0 to 3 and phi from 0 to pi/3 and over all theta. The region looks like a cone with a spherical cap on it. I think by above and below they mean relative to the z axis.

I completely stuck
How do I determine what my density function will be?

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\delta[/tex](x,y,z)[tex]\rho[/tex]^2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\rho[/tex]d[tex]\phi[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]3
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]/3
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2pi

would I use [tex]\rho[/tex]^2??

Last edited:
No. They tell you that the density is proportional to z^2. What's z in spherical coordinates?

z=[tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\phi[/tex]

z^2=([tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\phi[/tex])^2 ??

Why the question marks?? Sounds right to me. They only said 'proportional to', so you might want to call it C*z^2, just for generality.

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\rho[/tex]^2cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]^2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\rho[/tex]d[tex]\phi[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]3
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]/3
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2pi

Looks ok so far. But be careful about theta and phi. You said z=r*cos(phI) and then you put in cos(theta). theta and phi tend to get mixed up. There are two different conventions for this. Is theta the polar angle or phi?

my mistake, should be p^2cos^2(phi) p^2sin(theta)
can this be broken apart:

(Integral rho^4 from 0 to 3)*(Integral Cos^2 phi from 0 to pi/3)*(Integral sin theta from 0 to 2pi)

(1/5rho^5) * (pi/6 + .5sin(pi/3)cos(pi/3)) * (-cos(2pi) - -cos(0))

(48.6)(.2165)(0)=0 ?

Last edited:
The angle in the z and the angle in the dV part of the integral should both be the same angle (the polar angle), shouldn't they? I'm just worried you are mixing formulas.

1. What is a "Tough Integral problem"?

A "Tough Integral problem" is a type of mathematical problem that requires the evaluation of an integral, which is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. These types of problems are considered tough because they often involve complex functions and require advanced techniques to solve.

2. How do I approach solving a Tough Integral problem?

The first step in solving a Tough Integral problem is to identify the type of integral that needs to be evaluated. This can be done by looking at the integrand (the function inside the integral) and determining if it is a polynomial, trigonometric function, exponential function, or a combination of these. Once the type of integral is identified, specific techniques can be used to solve it, such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities.

3. Can a Tough Integral problem be solved without using advanced techniques?

In some cases, it is possible to solve a Tough Integral problem without using advanced techniques. This may involve recognizing special patterns or properties of the integrand that allow for easier evaluation. However, in general, most Tough Integral problems will require the use of advanced techniques to find a solution.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving a Tough Integral problem?

One common mistake when solving a Tough Integral problem is forgetting to include the constant of integration. This is because when evaluating an indefinite integral, the result is an antiderivative, which is a family of functions that differ by a constant. Another mistake is not being careful with algebraic manipulations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to double-check all steps and algebraic manipulations when solving a Tough Integral problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to a Tough Integral problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a Tough Integral problem is correct, you can take the derivative of the antiderivative that you found. If the result is the original integrand, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can use online tools or graphing calculators to plot the original function and your antiderivative to visually verify that they are equivalent.