Solving a Tough Physics Problem: Force Exerted by a Falling Chain on a Table

• Thread starter epl_manutd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, solving a tough physics problem involving the force exerted by a falling chain on a table requires understanding and applying the principles of gravity, tension, and acceleration. The weight of the chain, the distance it falls, and the angle at which it lands all play a role in calculating the force exerted on the table. By breaking down the problem into smaller parts and utilizing equations such as Newton's second law and the Pythagorean theorem, the force exerted by the falling chain can be accurately determined.
epl_manutd
A chain of length L and total mass M is released from rest with its lower end just touching the top of a table, as in figure
(a). Find the force exerted by the table on the chain after the chain has fallen through a distance x, as in figure (b).
Assume each link comes to rest the instant it reaches the table.

figure can be found at
http://polaris.deas.harvard.edu/gali...52/151/hw5.pdf

Thanks

The answer is 3xgM/L if you wonder. I want to know how that is achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could not access the figure. Would you please see if you can fix that?

that is the link

http://polaris.deas.harvard.edu/galileo/images/material/852/151/hw5.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, it doesn't get posted
try google: "released from rest with its lower end"
there is a pdf file that has harvard on it.
and it's #11 of that

Sorry

I see the image, before you get help you must show your thoughts about the problem. Say something about it.

a hint gravity and impulse

1. What makes a physics problem "tough"?

A tough physics problem is one that requires a deep understanding of complex concepts and principles, as well as the ability to apply them in a creative and logical way. It may also involve multiple steps and calculations, making it more time-consuming and challenging to solve.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This could include working through example problems, participating in class discussions, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tough physics problems?

One common mistake is rushing through the problem without fully understanding the given information and what is being asked. It's important to carefully read the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, be sure to double-check your calculations and units, as a simple error can lead to an incorrect answer.

4. How can I approach a tough physics problem if I feel stuck?

If you're feeling stuck on a tough physics problem, try taking a step back and looking at the problem from a different perspective. Sometimes, a change in approach or a new way of thinking can help you make progress. You can also consult with classmates or a teacher for new insights or techniques.

5. What are some resources I can use to help me solve tough physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you solve tough physics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group to get additional support and guidance. Additionally, there are many physics forums and communities online where you can ask for help and discuss challenging problems with other students and experts.