Town Battles 'Demonic' Mystery Blazes

• Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
Personal viewpoint: quiet conspiracy?

A friend of mine here who, incidentally, grew up in Sicily, rolled his eyes and chuckled sarcastically when i brought up these incidents. His idea is that the whole thing has been "blown out of proportion" by the citizens and the only true "magnetic" aspect here is money. He suggested that the residents and business owners would have nothing to lose, and everything to gain insofar as all this attention is bringing people and money to the area. When I suggested I thought it unseemly that a bunch of people would get together and "agree" to do something like this.... he seemed to think that didn't matter, that it could easily be an implicit thing, perhaps started by a hoaxer, who knows, but now being quietly "milked" by the town for economic gain.

The prior investigations mostly looked to theory; the tests performed by national agencies revealed nothing concrete.

I read in another article that the citizens "talk" of elevated magnetic fields according to their "privately hired" electricians. Interestingly, I've found no official reports of these results.

To me so much dishonesty is an ugly thought, and seems unlikely. But I live in better conditions, and in a different culture. I thought I'd toss it out, albeit only an opinion, since it came from someone who has experienced firsthand the culture, and the relative conditions.

This is concievable. In a small town with a strong religious base, there is the "Salem" factor to consider.

Let's say there is actually only one mysterious fire to start with that someone ascribes to the devil. Other people may become unconsciously envious of the attention this brings them and start setting their own appliances on fire to get in on the attention. At least twelve of the towns residents are so inept at this they end up burning their own houses down. The more careful ones just wreck their cell phones and toasters. Anyway, soon the devil is running rampant and they "need" an excorcism.

The mayor figures it's plain electrical fires so he orders the electricity cut off, but they keep happening because it is hysterical mass arson. Time to evacuate and call in the Protezione Civile. These people investigate none of the actual appliances that have been incinerated, concentrating instead on power lines railroad tracks, and geomagnetic measurements. They find nothing.

The people come back and a new reason for more arson arises: to keep the interest of the tourists and gawkers who have come to town to check it out and who are buying their meals and lodging locally. Perhaps someone can be sued, as well.

I would buy mass hysteria over the notion of a single perpetrator, since this would require no special devices or ninja like stealth in sneaking into peoples houses.

something like that, but...
Originally posted by zoobyshoe In a small town with a strong religious base, there is the "Salem" factor to consider.

Let's say there is actually only one mysterious fire to start with that someone ascribes to the devil.
I kinda doubt religion has much to do with it. Catholicism is a rather more of a backdrop. Kinda doubt too many people, small town or not, would ascribe it to the devil. At best a very elderly person might get the notion, whereupon I could see others jumping at the idea to call in exorcists and get some attention. Even if the italian public thought it ludicrous, it turns a fire into a unique mystery, and builds up a sense of importance. And it might bring a tourist or two... or more. This, after all, made world news. Think money.
Other people may become unconsciously envious
nahhhhh... it isn't a one guy against the next sorta thing.
of the attention this brings them and start setting their own appliances on fire to get in on the attention. At least twelve of the towns residents are so inept at this they end up burning their own houses down. The more careful ones just wreck their cell phones and toasters
No way people would burn down a houses down through ineptness. But if the property is dilapidated enough to require maintenance beyond it's value, and they caught "whiff" the whole thing could balloon into a national emergency, they might well jump at the chance to get a free ride on state funds to be rehoused. Think money.

Also unlikely anyone would sue anybody here. If monies are exchanged it would be almost certainly under the table. No lawyers, notaries, or taxes. Think money. No God, No Science, Just Money.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Originally posted by firefly
It also says, a bit further downi.e. they don't expect a signal that small to directly cause the problems but somehow to be amplified or in any event modified in some way, by as yet undetermined influences.
In other words, they really have no theory at all. This assumes way too much to be taken seriously.

If I am not making any more sense than the article, please tell me to shut up and i'll quietly go away....:frown:
Not at all. Your input is greatly appreciated.