Trace-reverse field in linearized GR

• Thread starter michael879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Gr
In summary, the Lagrangian for weak perturbations in the metric on a flat space is: L = \frac{1}{4}(\partial^\sigma h_{\mu\nu}\partial_\sigma h^{\mu\nu} - \partial^\mu h \partial_\mu h)+\frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu h^{\mu\nu}(\partial_\nu h - \partial^\sigma h_{\nu\sigma}) and the equation for the E-L equations is: \partial^\sigma\partial_\sigma h_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} \eta_{
michael879
Ok I feel like there is a really simple answer to this but I've been trying to get this to work for days and I just can't. Here is the basic problem:
The "free-field" lagrangian for weak perturbations in the metric on a flat space is:
[tex]L = \frac{1}{4}(\partial^\sigma h_{\mu\nu}\partial_\sigma h^{\mu\nu} - \partial^\mu h \partial_\mu h)+\frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu h^{\mu\nu}(\partial_\nu h - \partial^\sigma h_{\nu\sigma})[/tex]
Solving for the E-L equations, and using the gauge [tex]\partial_\nu h^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu h[/tex], I get the following equation:
[tex]\partial^\sigma\partial_\sigma h_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} \eta_{\mu\nu}\partial^\mu\partial_\mu h = 0[/tex]
and plugging in the trace-reverse of h, it is easy to get the final result:
[tex]\partial^\sigma\partial_\sigma \overline{h}_{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]

So far this all agrees with my GR book (which doesn't take the lagrangian approach so its a good check). The problem I'm having is when I try to use the trace reverse from step 1. The lagrangian I get (I pre-set the same gauge as above to save myself some typing) is:
[tex]L = \frac{1}{4}\partial^\sigma \overline{h}_{\mu\nu}\partial_\sigma \overline{h}^{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{8}\partial^\mu \overline{h} \partial_\mu \overline{h}[/tex]
However, this is EXACTLY the same lagrangian as the normal field (again, only after the gauge I mentioned has been set), and will therefore give the same EOM. So in the end I get:
[tex]\partial^\sigma\partial_\sigma \overline{h}_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} \eta_{\mu\nu}\partial^\sigma\partial_\sigma \overline{h} = 0[/tex]
Am I going crazy?? My logic seems sound but this is an OBVIOUS inconsistancy. I'd be tempted to just ignore the trace-reversed field but it makes a lot of things simpler and I'd rather use it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
^bump, anyone??

Perhaps I misunderstand your notation, but if [tex] \bar{h} = \eta^{ab} \bar{h}_{ab} [/tex] then doesn't your last equation imply (by contracting with [tex] \eta [/tex]) that [tex] \partial^a \partial_a \bar{h} = 0 [/tex] and hence that [tex] \partial^a \partial_a \bar{h}_{bc} = 0 [/tex].

I haven't checked anything else you said, but I'll be back later if this doesn't help.

wow, your right, that completely resolved the "inconsistency". Thanks, I've been staring at these equations for waaaay too long. Now I'm just wondering why my GR book even bothered with the trace-reversed field since you can get the same equation for the regular one.

1. What is the trace-reverse field in linearized GR?

The trace-reverse field in linearized GR refers to a mathematical property of the linearized Einstein field equations, which describe the behavior of gravitational waves in the weak field limit. It is a combination of the trace and the trace-reversed part of the metric tensor, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of gravitational waves in linearized GR.

2. How is the trace-reverse field calculated?

The trace-reverse field is calculated by taking the trace of the metric tensor, which is the sum of the diagonal elements, and then subtracting half of the trace from each element of the matrix. This results in a symmetric tensor with no trace, which is known as the trace-reversed metric tensor.

3. What is the physical significance of the trace-reverse field?

The trace-reverse field has physical significance because it is directly related to the amplitude of gravitational waves in linearized GR. It also plays a crucial role in the propagation and polarization of gravitational waves, making it an important quantity in understanding the behavior of these waves.

4. How does the trace-reverse field relate to other fields in GR?

The trace-reverse field is related to other fields in GR, such as the Ricci tensor and the Einstein tensor. In linearized GR, the Einstein field equations can be written in terms of the trace-reversed metric tensor, making it a key quantity in the theory.

5. What are some applications of the trace-reverse field in linearized GR?

The trace-reverse field has many applications in linearized GR, including the study of gravitational waves from astrophysical sources, such as binary black hole mergers. It is also used in the analysis of data from gravitational wave detectors, such as LIGO and Virgo, to extract important information about the sources of these waves.