Driving a Train: 100 Passengers and Counting

In summary, the conversation is about a riddle where the question is asked to consider yourself as a train driver with 100 passengers onboard. 50 passengers get on at the first station, 27 at the second, and 45 leave at the third. No one gets on or off at the fourth station, and at the fifth station, 37 get on and 49 get off. The question asks for the name of the driver, but the answer is not given. The conversation also includes various tangents and opinions on the riddle.
EmiR
hmmmmmmmmmmm consider u r driving a train.
there is 100 passengers in the train. at first station 50 more get into the train. 2nd station 27 more come in. but at the third station 45 left the train. 4th station no one leave or enter... 5th station 37 ins and 49 out. what is the name of the driver?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naughily still in white:
Umm.. I'm not telling you my name, but I know it and considering driving a train isn't going to change it no matter who gets on or off.

[EDIT] left out a not.

Last edited:
The name of the driver is Quark

But no passenger will be left alive in the train. Huh...where is the spooky smiley :grumpy:

Dude that is whom who is reading the text itself.

the person who is reading the train is driving the train. because you have already told to consider ourselves as a train driver. i am reading, i am the train driver.name is abinash.

hei, its me

This riddle works better in person.

the name of the driver was bob. but not anymore, he was fired after he hit me while he was trying to figure out this question.

I have heard this riddle as "What is the drivers eye colour" which is good because it makes people try to figure out if there is some aspect to the data that might yeild that information. I think asking for the drivers name makes it too easy because you immediately go back and examine the form of the question.

1. How does driving a train differ from driving a car?

Driving a train is significantly different from driving a car in several ways. First, trains are much larger and heavier than cars, so they require more time and distance to stop. Second, trains run on tracks and are not able to change direction as easily as cars, which can make navigating turns and curves more challenging. Third, trains often have multiple cars attached, so they require more skill and coordination to operate. Finally, trains are typically operated by a team of people, including an engineer and conductor, whereas cars are usually driven by a single person.

2. How do you control the speed of a train?

The speed of a train is controlled by a combination of factors, including the amount of throttle applied, the grade of the track, and the weight and length of the train. The throttle is a lever that controls the amount of power being sent to the train's engine, which in turn determines how fast the train will go. The grade of the track, or the slope of the terrain, can also impact the speed of a train, as going uphill will require more power and going downhill may require the use of brakes. Finally, the weight and length of the train can affect its speed, as heavier and longer trains will require more power to maintain a certain speed.

3. How do you ensure the safety of 100 passengers while driving a train?

The safety of passengers is the top priority when driving a train. Before each trip, the train's engineer and conductor will perform a series of safety checks to ensure that all systems are functioning properly. During the trip, the engineer is responsible for maintaining a safe speed and following all signals and track signals. The conductor is in charge of communicating with the engineer and monitoring the train's surroundings to alert the engineer of any potential hazards. In the event of an emergency, the conductor is also responsible for evacuating passengers and providing any necessary assistance.

4. How do you handle unexpected obstacles or delays while driving a train?

Unexpected obstacles or delays can occur while driving a train, and it is the engineer's responsibility to handle these situations safely and efficiently. If an obstacle is spotted on the track, the engineer will immediately apply the brakes to slow down or stop the train. If there is a delay on the track, the engineer may need to communicate with the train's dispatcher to determine the cause of the delay and find a solution. In some cases, the engineer may need to make adjustments to the train's speed or route to avoid the delay and ensure the safety of the passengers.

5. What qualities are necessary to become a train engineer?

Becoming a train engineer requires a combination of technical skills, physical abilities, and personal qualities. Train engineers must have a thorough understanding of train operations, safety protocols, and emergency procedures. They must also possess strong hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, and the ability to think quickly and make split-second decisions. In addition, train engineers must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure. Physical stamina and the ability to sit for long periods of time are also important qualities for train engineers.