Transducer Amplifier: Benefits & Use for 0-30mV Output

In summary: Day!In summary, an operational amplifier is needed to amplify small differential voltages so that the data acquired by a data acquisition card is still accurate. Most transducers I've worked with will provide a means to calibrate and are purchased with a output that is compatible with your acquisition system. If your data acquisition card has its own amplifier, then it is not necessary to buy an amplifier. If you are collecting sensitive data, I would recommend using a data acquisition system that is not PC based.
james2286
Hi there. I currently have a system that is about to have a load cell installed. The output of the load cell with the 15V excitation voltage will be 0-30mv (2mv/V sensitivity). Now forgive me for asking, as I am not knowledgeable in this area (I have some electronics background, being a Mechatronic engineer, but there are many gaps in my knowledge), but what are the benefits of either buying, or making an amplifier? Our data acquisition card can accept analogue input voltages ranging from -10 to 10V. From reading the manual, it has its own PGIA (programmable gain instrumentation amplifier) that is supposed to dynamically adjust gain so that full resolution is still maintained in the digital conversion. Therefore, my thinking was that if the DAQ card has its own amplifier and resolution is kept intact, that perhaps an amplifier would really be needed?
However I've spoken to a few more people and I heard that you can get amplifiers that attenuates noise while amplifying only the signal? Is this true? In this case would it be beneficial to buy one, or if possible even make one?

Thanks for any help,

Jamie

Engineering news on Phys.org
james2286 said:
However I've spoken to a few more people and I heard that you can get amplifiers that attenuates noise while amplifying only the signal? Is this true? In this case would it be beneficial to buy one, or if possible even make one?
What is your application? Most transducers I've worked with will provide a means to calibrate and are purchased with a output that is compatible with you acquisition system.

Most of the guys who are doing validation testing on a machine put load cells / strain gauges everywhere and route them to central data acquisition systems. There's a lot that can go wrong with this method. Particularly if you don't have experience bonding strain gauges and electrical noise gets into your system.

Then again, in this case, you have a lot of data to collect, so a Fluke data bucket, or an HP data acq is the way to go.

PC based data acquisition systems tend to be noisier and are more limited in range, so I don't recommend them for sensitive data acq.

For products, such as scales, the cost and performance drives you towards a dedicated solution with an amp. It's much easier to sell the end user a guaranteed stable 0-5 volt output than a hopefully functional -?/+? mV.

- Mike

Your load cell voltage output is almost certainly a differential output, and not referenced to either ground or Vcc (+ 15 volts). So an operational amplifier set up to amplify small differential voltages with a good (high) common mode rejection ratio is essential. We need more detailed information on your specific load cell specifications.
Bob S

1. What is a transducer amplifier?

A transducer amplifier is an electronic device that amplifies the signal output from a transducer, which is a device that converts one form of energy into another. In this case, the transducer amplifier specifically amplifies signals in the range of 0-30mV.

2. What are the benefits of using a transducer amplifier?

There are several benefits to using a transducer amplifier. Firstly, it allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the transducer's output. Additionally, it can increase the signal strength, making it easier to detect and record. It also helps to reduce noise interference and signal loss.

3. How does a transducer amplifier work?

A transducer amplifier works by taking the small electrical signal output from the transducer and increasing its amplitude. This is achieved through a series of electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and operational amplifiers. The amplified signal can then be viewed and recorded by other devices.

4. Where are transducer amplifiers commonly used?

Transducer amplifiers are commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications where precise measurements are required. This includes fields such as engineering, physics, and medicine. They are also used in electronic devices such as sensors, transmitters, and data loggers.

5. Can a transducer amplifier be used for other output ranges?

Yes, transducer amplifiers can be designed for different output ranges, depending on the specific needs of the application. Some amplifiers may have a wider range, such as 0-100mV, while others may have a narrower range, such as 0-5mV. It is important to choose an amplifier that is suitable for the specific range of the transducer being used.