Transfer function for two-port network with series and parallel components

In summary, the conversation discusses a query about transfer functions in a two port network with three components. The question is whether the input voltage would be the same as the output voltage, resulting in a transfer function of 1. The individual has limited experience with transfer functions and is seeking help with understanding the circuit.
samdunhamss
I had a little query on transfer functions. My problem is this. I have a two port network with one terminal labeled Vin and one labeled Vout. Now network only has 3 components, one is a resistor in series with an inductor, now this series combination is in parallel with another resistor. My question is this, wouldn't the input voltage be the same as the output voltage, making the transfer function just 1? I don't have hardly any experience with transfer functions, teaching myself right now. But it seems to me that since there are basically two branches of the circuit the voltage across the branches should be the same. The first branch encountered after entering the Vin terminal is the inductor/resistor branch, if this makes any difference. Any help is appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which of these circuits do you have?

Attachments

• Transfer Function.JPG
    Transfer Function.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 386
I have circuit B

samdunhamss said:
I had a little query on transfer functions. My problem is this. I have a two port network with one terminal labeled Vin and one labeled Vout. Now network only has 3 components, one is a resistor in series with an inductor, now this series combination is in parallel with another resistor. My question is this, wouldn't the input voltage be the same as the output voltage, making the transfer function just 1? I don't have hardly any experience with transfer functions, teaching myself right now. But it seems to me that since there are basically two branches of the circuit the voltage across the branches should be the same. The first branch encountered after entering the Vin terminal is the inductor/resistor branch, if this makes any difference. Any help is appreciated!

In circuit B, is Vin going into the node between the two resistors?

Can you post a sketch of your exact circuit and label the voltages and ports?

Related to Transfer function for two-port network with series and parallel components

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system changes in response to a given input.

2. How is a transfer function used in science?

In science, transfer functions are commonly used in fields such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis to model and analyze the behavior of systems. They can also be used to design and optimize systems for specific purposes.

3. What are the key components of a transfer function?

A transfer function typically consists of a numerator and denominator, both of which are polynomials in the variable s (representing the complex frequency). The numerator represents the output of the system and the denominator represents the input.

4. How is a transfer function different from a frequency response?

While a transfer function describes the overall behavior of a system, a frequency response specifically shows how the system responds to different frequencies of input. The frequency response is calculated by evaluating the transfer function at different values of s.

5. Can a transfer function be used to predict the output of a system?

Yes, a transfer function can be used to predict the output of a system based on a given input. By plugging in the value of s, the transfer function can be evaluated to determine the output at that specific frequency. However, it is important to note that a transfer function is an idealized representation and may not always accurately predict real-world behavior.