Transfer function to phase transfere

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the value of w in the transfer function H(jw) when the argument is either -90 or 90 degrees. The speaker gets stuck in the process and asks for help, but realizes that the solution given in their book does not seem to give a defined result. They suggest trying to calculate the solution for +/-(90+epsilon) and taking the limit as epsilon approaches 0.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hello!
This is problem is a part of a bigger problem which I solved and came to a formula which is correct.

This is the equation for one transfer function. The next thing I would like to find out here is when arg(H(jw)) is -90 or 90 degrees but I get stuck.

Transfer function:
## H(jw) = \frac{R}{R(1-w^2LC)+jwL} ##This is how I proceeded till I got stuck.

## H(jw) = \frac{R}{R(1-w^2LC)+jwL} \\ H(jw) = \frac{R}{\sqrt{(R(1-w^2LC))^2+(wL)^2}e^{jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})}} \\ H(jw) = \frac{ R }{ \sqrt{ (R(1-w^2LC))^2+(wL)^2} } e^{-jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})} \\ ##

Then we want to know where the argument is -90 or 90 degrees.

## 90=-jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)}) ##

Here is the step where I get stuck. Could you please help me out?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the "j" on the right hand side of the last line come from?

M Quack said:
Where does the "j" on the right hand side of the last line come from?
Thank you for your reply!

From j here:
##e^{ -jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})} ##

But I guess it shouldn't be there. Since I an looking for the phase.

What about ## 90=-arctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)}) ## on the last line then :) ?

EDIT: the problem I have is that 90=-arctan(x) has no solutions :,(. But the solution in my book is ## w= \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} ##. When I try to insert the solution from the book inside the equation I have gives something that is not defined:
## 90=-arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{R(1-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}})^2LC)}) \\ 90= -arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{R(1-(\frac{1}{1}))}) \\ 90= -arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{0})##

Last edited:
What does the tangent function look like, in particular, what is the value of tan(90 deg) and tan(-90 deg)?

The mathematically correct way would be to calculate the solution for +/-(90 + epsilon), and then take the limit epsilon-> 0.

Hello! It looks like you have made good progress in solving your problem. To find the values of w where the argument of H(jw) is -90 or 90 degrees, you can use the definition of arctan:

## arctan(x) = \frac{90}{\pi} ##

This means that when the argument of H(jw) is -90 or 90 degrees, the ratio of wL to R(1-w^2LC) will equal the tangent of -90 or 90 degrees. You can then solve for w using this equation. I hope this helps!

1. What is a transfer function in relation to phase transfer?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of phase transfer, it describes how the phase of a signal changes as it passes through a system.

2. How is a transfer function used to calculate phase transfer?

The transfer function is used in conjunction with the Fourier transform to calculate the phase transfer of a system. The Fourier transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, and the transfer function describes how the phase of the signal changes in the frequency domain.

3. What is phase transfer function analysis used for?

Phase transfer function analysis is used to analyze the behavior and characteristics of a system, such as filters, amplifiers, and control systems. It helps engineers and scientists understand how a system affects the phase of a signal, which is crucial in many applications.

4. How is the phase transfer function related to the frequency response?

The phase transfer function and frequency response are closely related. The frequency response is a plot of the magnitude and phase of the transfer function as a function of frequency. They both provide important information about the behavior of a system in the frequency domain.

5. Can the transfer function to phase transfer be applied to any system?

Yes, the transfer function to phase transfer concept can be applied to any system that has input and output signals. It is a fundamental tool in signal processing and system analysis and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering.