1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer function to phase transfere

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

Hello!
    This is problem is a part of a bigger problem wich I solved and came to a formula which is correct.

This is the equation for one transfer function. The next thing I would like to find out here is when arg(H(jw)) is -90 or 90 degrees but I get stuck.

Transfer function:
    ## H(jw) = \frac{R}{R(1-w^2LC)+jwL} ##

This is how I proceeded till I got stuck.

## H(jw) = \frac{R}{R(1-w^2LC)+jwL} \\ H(jw) = \frac{R}{\sqrt{(R(1-w^2LC))^2+(wL)^2}e^{jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})}} \\ H(jw) = \frac{ R }{ \sqrt{ (R(1-w^2LC))^2+(wL)^2} } e^{-jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})} \\ ##

Then we want to know where the argument is -90 or 90 degrees.

## 90=-jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)}) ##

Here is the step where I get stuck. Could you please help me out?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2
    Where does the "j" on the right hand side of the last line come from?

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3

Rectifier

Gold Member

Thank you for your reply!

From j here:
    ##e^{ -jarctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)})} ##

But I guess it shouldnt be there. Since I an looking for the phase.

What about ## 90=-arctan( \frac{wL}{R(1-w^2LC)}) ## on the last line then :) ?

EDIT: the problem I have is that 90=-arctan(x) has no solutions :,(. But the solution in my book is ## w= \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} ##. When I try to insert the solution from the book inside the equation I have gives something that is not defined:
    ## 90=-arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{R(1-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}})^2LC)}) \\ 90= -arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{R(1-(\frac{1}{1}))}) \\ 90= -arctan( \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}L}{0})##

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  5. Oct 26, 2014 #4
    What does the tangent function look like, in particular, what is the value of tan(90 deg) and tan(-90 deg)?

The mathematically correct way would be to calculate the solution for +/-(90 + epsilon), and then take the limit epsilon-> 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook