1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Transfer of kinetic energy from particle to electric field

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1

drl

If an electron in an excited wave form passes thru an electric field , can it lose kinetic energy in doing so.?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean by "an electron in an excited wave form", but it's clearly the case that an electron can lose (or gain) kinetic energy as it passes through an electric field. Consider the trajectory of an electron approaching fired towards a negatively charged capacitor plate, for example.

4. Apr 2, 2016 #3

David Lewis

Gold Member

The kinetic energy of an electron can be converted to potential energy stored in a magnetic or electric field. This is a reversible conversion. Alternatively it can be converted to electromagnetic radiation or dissipated as heat.

5. Apr 4, 2016 #4

drl

What I am getting at is the 2 slit exp. an slectron passes thru the slits and produces an interference pattern. When the dedector is turned on an electric field is produced that the electron passes thru and in the process may lose some of its kinetic energy. Could the loss of this kinetic energy be the cause of the loss of the interference pattern?

6. Apr 4, 2016 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

No, I believe the interference pattern appears because the electron is not in any particular place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted