Can Quantum States be Transferred without Knowledge of Initial Orientation?

In summary, the answer to whether it is possible for the photons prepared by B to take the polarization states of the photons prepared by A, without B knowing the orientation of the photons prepared by A, is dependent on the degree of pre-existing entanglement between the photons. If the photons were prepared from the same source, it is possible. If the photons were not prepared from the same source, there is no change for the transfer to occur.
Harmony
An experimenter, A, has prepared four photons with known polarization states. In another lab, experimenter B has prepared four photons with random orientation.

Is it possible, for the photons prepared by B, to take the polarization states of the photons prepared by A, without B knowing the orientation of the photons prepared by A?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on wheter the photons were pre pared from the same source that is if A and B have got entangled product then yes.Even if A knows B and B knows A and they know what the other is doing and their labs are not very far away again the answer (maybe) is yes.

yes,it will b

Is the uncertainity which Heisenberg talk of a result of complex interconnections between a particle to the rest of the universe all it is the inherent property of nature?

Hmm..that means if they aren't entangled before, there isn't anyway to make them entangled? Meaning that, if the photons are not prepared from the same source, there is absolutely no change for the transfer to occur?

No Its not that.If you exchange one photon from set of A to that of set set of B still there will be an entanglement.
Also If A performs experiment first or B, and tell the latter about his/her result still there will be entanglement due to B's (or A's)conciousness

Hmm...so would it be safe to say that, experimenter B can't "steal" the information from A without exchanging the photon or ask the information from A like you said?

They should also be situated far away so much so that their fields can't interact.Also their should be no third person knowing about them and their nature or else he/she shall collapse their wave function.Complete Sheilding (imposible in reality and might be in principle also.)

Deric Boyle said:
They should also be situated far away so much so that their fields can't interact.Also their should be no third person knowing about them and their nature or else he/she shall collapse their wave function.Complete Sheilding (imposible in reality and might be in principle also.)

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. The reason i ask about the transfer of states, is because that I plan to write a story which involved a "stolen" quantum states ie experimenter B steal the quantum states of photons from A and make the original photons randomly oriented.

I am aware that this might not be possible to do in practice, but i suppose there isn't any physics laws that forbids the re-entanglement of two set of photons which comes from different source (at least, base on current knowledge), since you said that in principle their field might interact?

I don't wish to write a science fiction story which is forbidden by the laws of physics, that's why i post in this forum for expert's advice...:)

What you are asking about is called quantum teleportation. Look it up.

Sorry to state this Sir Harmony I'm not an expert.I just took up quantum mechanics few weeks ago.
And K^2 I wasn't talking about quantum teleportation (by the way what is it?) I just gave what I interpret from quantum mechanic which is that the experiment which I perform at quantum level has a considerable dependence upon my intentions.
Sir Harmony please confirm from experts like A.Neumaier or tom.stoer
or our Mentor Doc Al

I was replying to OP. Sorry, I can see now that it was ambiguous.

Quantum teleportation is a method for transfering quantum state using classical channel without performing a projective measurement on the state in question. You do need a pre-fabricated maximally entangled pair, however.

So, say Alice has an electron with some unknown spin state. She wants to send that spin state to Bob. They can use optic fiber to prepare a pair of entangled electrons in their respective labs. Alice can then perform a Bell-basis measurement of the pair of electrons she now has and send result of the measurement, which is two bits of information, to Bob via any convenient channel. Bob can use that information to restore the state of the original electron in Alice's lab. The original state is, of course, destroyed in the Bell-basis measurement, fulfilling requirements of the no-cloning theorem.

If you want the details of the algorithm with all the math, Wikipedia article covers all the basics, and links to relevant articles.

By the way, this has been experimentally confirmed on simple 2-state systems.

Thanks K^2 :-)

1. What is meant by "transfer of quantum state"?

The transfer of quantum state refers to the process of transferring the quantum properties of a particle or system to another particle or system, without physically moving the particles themselves. This can be achieved through techniques such as quantum teleportation or quantum entanglement.

2. How is the transfer of quantum state different from classical information transfer?

In classical information transfer, information is transferred through physical means, such as sending signals or messages. In the transfer of quantum state, information is transferred through the manipulation of quantum properties, which can occur instantaneously and without the need for physical movement of particles.

3. What are the potential applications of transfer of quantum state?

The transfer of quantum state has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It could also potentially enable secure and instantaneous communication over long distances, as well as improve the efficiency and speed of data processing.

4. What are the challenges in achieving successful transfer of quantum state?

One of the main challenges in achieving successful transfer of quantum state is maintaining the delicate quantum properties of the particles involved. Any interference or environmental disturbances can disrupt the transfer process. Additionally, the technology for reliably transferring quantum state is still in its early stages and requires further development.

5. Can the transfer of quantum state violate the laws of physics?

No, the transfer of quantum state does not violate the laws of physics. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. These principles allow for seemingly instantaneous transfer of information and properties between particles, without violating any laws of physics.