Transfer Student-> Engineering/Physics Program

In summary, the student has a high school average of only 72, but a 96.4 average in senior year. The student scored 90 or higher on all but one regents exam. The student is attending Queens borough Community College and intends to transfer to a more expensive school. The student wants to study physics and is open to any advice.
Leptos
A little bit about my academic record:
- My average in my freshman, sophomore, and junior year of high school was only 72.
- My average in senior year was a 96.4.
- I scored 90+ on all but 1 of my regents.
- I'm currently going to Queens borough Community College and this is my first semester in college(spring 2010).
I know I can manage a decent GPA here at QCC but I'm not sure how long it will be until I can properly transfer schools since this is going to be my first semester in college. My parents cover all my costs so tuition isn't a problem.

I want to be in a physics, engineering, or math program when I transfer schools.
To be safe I'm assuming a 3.85 GPA(although at QCC I know I can manage 3.9+)

Currently I'm considering applying to the following schools:
-Cooper Union(electrical/mechanical engineering)
-City College
-Queens College

Also: I'm fine with doing some research work or minor publications because I have quite a bit of free time even on a full-time student schedule. I have well above average capabilities, but it just so happens that I've made some choices that have affected my academic career negatively. Are there any cases where a school will consider special cases like where a student may exhibit special qualities that are generally correlated with high-achievers or where a student may have recovered from depression?

Anyway, I'm open to all advice guys. Like I've mentioned in previous threads, I'm ready to stay in school for a 12 years or more if needed. I've been interested in the natural sciences, particularly physics, since my childhood; I've looked enough into college level material to know physics is what I want to study.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your high school crap doesn't matter once you get about 30-60 credits at the community college (depends on the university.)

Your GPA won't transfer over, but the credit will. A high community college GPA may be helpful for scholarship opportunities, though.

Jack21222 said:
Your high school crap doesn't matter once you get about 30-60 credits at the community college (depends on the university.)

Your GPA won't transfer over, but the credit will. A high community college GPA may be helpful for scholarship opportunities, though.
My parents are willing to pay for me to go to more expensive schools but I don't want to move outside of New York City. I want to stay near my home(Jamaica Estates, Queens) so I can live in my parents house until I finish my undergraduate studies. QCC offers some research programs but from what I was told there wasn't any for physics but there are some for chemistry. Regardless, any research work I can do I suppose would benefit me.

1. How do I transfer to an engineering/physics program as a student?

In order to transfer to an engineering/physics program as a student, you will need to research the specific requirements and application process for the program you are interested in. Generally, this will involve submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement, as well as meeting any minimum GPA requirements and completing prerequisite courses.

2. Can I transfer to an engineering/physics program from a different major?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to an engineering/physics program from a different major. However, you will likely need to meet specific requirements and complete any necessary prerequisite courses before being admitted into the program. It is important to research the specific requirements and speak with an academic advisor to determine the best path for your individual situation.

3. Are there any specific GPA requirements for transferring to an engineering/physics program?

Many engineering/physics programs have minimum GPA requirements for transfer students, which can vary depending on the institution and specific program. It is important to research the requirements for the program you are interested in and work towards achieving a strong GPA in your current courses.

4. How do I know if my credits will transfer to an engineering/physics program?

Credits from previous coursework may transfer to an engineering/physics program, but it will ultimately depend on the institution and the specific courses you have taken. You should research the transfer credit policy of the program you are interested in and speak with an academic advisor to determine which credits may transfer and fulfill prerequisite requirements.

5. Can I transfer to an engineering/physics program in the middle of my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to an engineering/physics program in the middle of your undergraduate degree. However, it is important to consider the specific requirements and timeline for the program, as well as any potential challenges in completing the necessary prerequisite courses. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your individual situation.