1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Transfer to Northwestern University

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    I just got a letter today accepting me as a transfer to Northwestern University, with potential financial aid that would make it about as cheap as going to UMass Amherst. It has been my main plan for a month now to go to UMass Amherst--it's in my state, it's in the UMass system, it has a great Computer Science department. I am a Computer Science major. I had actually given up on getting any kind of reply from Northwestern one month ago, so it was a surprise when I got this in the mail.

It would be a big fiasco to go to Northwestern University. It's halfway across the country (Massachusetts to Illinois) and maybe I couldn't get affordable housing there anyway. Also, maybe I couldn't get the scholarships renewed for senior year--I could not afford to do senior year at full price at Northwestern, which would be about $45,000. Another consideration is that since I'd be leaving the UMass system, I would likely get less transfer credit at Northwestern, thus perhaps entering as only a sophomore.

So my question is, how much work is Northwestern worth? If I go there and get everything to work out, how much of a difference is it going to make on my educational and professional career when compared to UMass Amherst? I either want to be an AI researcher or a professional programmer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2
    What was your original reasoning behind applying as a transfer student to NW to start with? (Hey - there's always NorthEASTERN, pretty close by to you :smile: ).

4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    I don't know--either I never wrote Northeastern down on my list of colleges, which I doubt, or the application deadline passed too soon. My standards for applying to schools are very strict: specifically, I must get around to applying to them before their deadline passes. No exceptions, no matter how much they beg and plead.

My original reasoning for Northwestern was, hey, Northwestern's deadline is June 1!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  5. Jul 6, 2005 #4
    I actually don't understand your response at all. My main question was - why did you apply as a transfer to Northwestern? You make it sound like you really want to stay at U Mass, but what was the point of even applying to Northwestern then?

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    OK - I see the edit. That doesn't seem like much of a reason.

7. Jul 6, 2005 #6
    Well, mainly I wanted to see if I could get in. I had a list of great schools that I was going to apply to along with UMass Amherst, but their all deadlines except Northwestern's went by without me applying to them. So now I'm wondering just how much better of an education Northwestern can give compared with UMass Amherst. If I knew it would really make a difference in how competent I am in my field, then I'd head to Northwestern with no questions asked.

I'm looking for someone who knows about the reputation of the computer science departments of both schools and might be able to say if it would make a big difference.

8. Jul 6, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NWU is considered a much better school overall, but the UMass CS program is "supposed" to be real good.

Find out what you can, about the teaching at NWU. Talk to students. And check out : http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?