Transferring Schools because advisor told me there's no hope

In summary, a physics student is struggling with a low GPA and is considering transferring to reduce the cost of their 7-year college career. Their academic advisor has informed them that the best they can do is graduate in Spring 2019 due to some classes only being offered once a year. The student is passionate about science and is wondering what others would do in their situation. They are also considering transferring to a larger school, but are unsure if it will improve their academic record. Additionally, they are concerned about the intensity of work if they try to finish the program more quickly. The academic advisor did not say there is no hope, but the student is wondering if escalating the drama is helpful.
kkefalas
Hi Physics forums patrons,

I'm a bit of an academic pickle and I don't really know where to turn so I was hoping someone could offer an alternate point of view. For a little background, I'm currently a physics student, having transferred from finance about a year ago (go science). Now, I'm very behind. My GPA isn't great. I'm struggling. I email my academic advisor after a bit of a while because I considered my path was already defined and the email which I received in return started with "Indeed, it does not look promising".

Basically he told me then best I can do is graduating in Spring 2019, considering some classes are only offered in the fall or only offered in the spring. I'm passionate about science and know this is what I'd like to do but being burdened by a 7 year college career would not be ideal. I'm considering transferring maybe to reduce the cost.

I was wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks for listening,

K

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of college would offer crucial coursework for your area twice a year rather than just once?

1. If you do this, it means transferring to a larger school. Given your academic record, do you think this will improve it?
  2. Going through the program more quickly gives you less time and more intensity of work. Given your academic record, do you think this is a good idea?
  3. Your advisor did not say 'there is no hope'. Do you think escalating the drama is helpful?

1. Why did your advisor tell you there's no hope?

Your advisor likely evaluated your academic progress and determined that it is not possible for you to meet the requirements for your current school. This could be due to low grades, lack of prerequisite courses, or other factors.

2. Can't you just work harder and improve your academic standing?

In some cases, it may be possible to improve your grades and meet the requirements for your current school. However, your advisor has likely considered this option and determined that it is not feasible in your situation.

3. What are the consequences of transferring schools?

The consequences of transferring schools can vary depending on the specific circumstances. You may have to retake courses that did not transfer, potentially extending your graduation timeline. Additionally, you may need to adjust to a new academic environment and build new relationships with professors and classmates.

4. How do I know if transferring schools is the right decision for me?

This is a personal decision that requires careful consideration. You should weigh the potential consequences of transferring against the potential benefits, such as being able to pursue your desired major or attending a school with a better academic fit.

5. What steps should I take if I decide to transfer schools?

If you have made the decision to transfer schools, you should begin by researching potential schools and their transfer requirements. You should also reach out to their admissions offices and gather all necessary application materials. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or transfer counselor for guidance.