1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Transferring Schools because advisor told me there's no hope

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    Hi Physics forums patrons,

I'm a bit of an academic pickle and I don't really know where to turn so I was hoping someone could offer an alternate point of view. For a little background, I'm currently a physics student, having transferred from finance about a year ago (go science). Now, I'm very behind. My GPA isn't great. I'm struggling. I email my academic advisor after a bit of a while because I considered my path was already defined and the email which I received in return started with "Indeed, it does not look promising".

Basically he told me then best I can do is graduating in Spring 2019, considering some classes are only offered in the fall or only offered in the spring. I'm passionate about science and know this is what I'd like to do but being burdened by a 7 year college career would not be ideal. I'm considering transferring maybe to reduce the cost.

I was wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks for listening,

K

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2
    What kind of college would offer crucial coursework for your area twice a year rather than just once?

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

1. If you do this, it means transferring to a larger school. Given your academic record, do you think this will improve it?
    2. Going through the program more quickly gives you less time and more intensity of work. Given your academic record, do you think this is a good idea?
    3. Your advisor did not say 'there is no hope'. Do you think escalating the drama is helpful?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted