Transform Maxwell Equations into k-space

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the derivation for the Maxwell equations in k-space and how the term \nabla \times E goes to zero after integrating by parts and assuming that E(t,x) -> 0 as x -> +/- infinity. The expert also mentions using the Fourier transform to write the fields in terms of their wave-number representation and the usefulness of Euler's identities in visualizing the waveform.
spookyfw
Dear fellow physicists,

looking at the derivation for the maxwell equations into k-space, I've stumbled upon something that seems not so logical to me. It is concerning the two parts where they transform [itex]\nabla \times E [/itex] and [itex]\nabla \bullet E [/itex] on page 27 (on the sheets 14).
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15466480/EMFT-Exercises#page=27

After integrating by parts they just state that the first term goes to zero. But for negative infinity it appears more to me that this term is actually blowing up. Is there something that I am missing and someone could me to?

Thank you very much in advance,
spookyfw

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The term is zero because they have assumed that E(t,x) -> 0 as x -> +/- infinity.

I don't find the exercise in this manuscript you link, but it's pretty simple. Just write all the fields in terms of their Fourier transform. Using the HEP-communities convention this reads, e.g., for the electric field
[tex]\vec{E}(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \frac{\mathrm{d}^4 k}{(2 \pi)^4} \hat{\vec{E}}(k) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x).[/tex]
I use the west-coast convention, i.e.,
[tex]k_{\mu} x^{\mu}=:k \cdot x=(k^0 x^0)-(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]
Now consider Gauss's Law as an example. In time-position representation it reads
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho[/tex]
(Heaviside-Lorentz units). Applying the differential operator on the Fourier transform gives
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \frac{\mathrm{d}^4 k}{(2 \pi)^4} \mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \hat{\vec{E}}(k) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x)=\rho(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \frac{\mathrm{d}^4 k}{(2 \pi)^4} \hat{\rho}(k) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x).[/tex]
Since the Fourier transformation is invertible this means that
[tex]\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \hat{\vec{E}}(k)=\hat{\rho}(k).[/tex]
In the same way you get all the other Maxwell equations in wave-number representation.

ah. that makes perfect sense. Thank you very much :).

It can also be very helpful to keep in mind Euler's identities which make it possible to visualize the waveform in exponential form:

[itex]e^{jx} = cos \ x + j \ sin \ x[/itex]
[itex]e^{-jx} = cos \ x - j \ sin \ x[/itex]

[itex]cos \ x = \frac{e^{jx} + e^{-jx}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]sin \ x = \frac{e^{jx} - e^{-jx}}{2j}[/itex]

Last edited:

Q: What are the Maxwell equations?

The Maxwell equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential for understanding electromagnetism.

Q: How do you transform Maxwell equations into k-space?

To transform Maxwell equations into k-space, you need to perform Fourier transforms on each of the four equations. This will convert the equations from the time and space domain into the frequency and wavevector (k) domain.

Q: What is k-space?

k-space is a mathematical space that is used to represent the frequency and wavevector components of electromagnetic waves. It is a useful tool in electromagnetic theory and is often used in the analysis of Maxwell equations.

Q: Why is it important to transform Maxwell equations into k-space?

Transforming Maxwell equations into k-space allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials and structures. It also simplifies the equations and makes them easier to solve for certain problems, such as wave propagation in periodic structures.

Q: Are there any limitations to transforming Maxwell equations into k-space?

While transforming Maxwell equations into k-space can be useful, it is important to note that it is only applicable for linear, isotropic materials. It also assumes that the material properties are constant throughout space, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.