1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of Coordinate Systems

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a one-to-one C1 mapping [tex]f[/tex] from the first quadrant of the xy-plane to the first quadrant of the uv-plane such that the region where [tex]x^2 \leq y \leq 2x^2[/tex] and [tex]1 \leq xy \leq 3[/tex] is mapped to a rectangle. Compute the Jacobian det Df and the inverse mapping [tex]f^{-1}[/tex].

The hint for the question states: Map all the regions where [tex]ax^2 \leq y \leq bx^2[/tex] and [tex]c \leq xy \leq d[/tex] to rectangles.

2. Relevant equations

I'm a little confused on what they mean by map to a rectangle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm at a loss of where to begin...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2
    Thought about this some more, and I think the solution should be:

(u, v) = f(x, y) = ([tex] \frac{y}{x^2}[/tex], xy)

I checked some coordinates and it appears to work. However, I got this solution through trial and error. Can someone point out to me a way to find the solution in a systematic way?

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3
    let's start with the second inequality. xy goes from 1 to 3. this forms one dimension of a rectangle - along the xy-axis. but instead of using an xy-axis, you could use a u-axis or v-axis, if you let u or v equal to xy. Hint hint.

now for the first inequality, if y goes from x^2 and 2x^2, is there a way to manipulate this so that the value of *some algebraic expression* goes from one integer to another? kinda like xy above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook