1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of expoential to hyperbolic

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The book has it exp(-MgbH/KT) =(sinh(2S+1)x/2)/(sinh(x/2)) for M=2S+1, and x = gbH/(kt).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'd have it as cosh(Mx)-sinh(Mx). How did they get the above result? Help please. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x=0 and y=1 then the book's formula gives exp(0)=0. 1=0 is nonsense. You don't need to ask where it comes from. Or is there a typo in there? Your formula is certainly correct.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    Sorry I have made a mistake in writing that down. The book actually have it as exp(-MgbH/KT). M = 2S+1. The book let gbH/KT be x. And then it went ahead to say exp(-MgbH/KT) = sinh[(2S+1)x/2]/sinh(x/2). Which is sinh[Mx/2]/sinh(x/2) . Sorry for the inconvenience.

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Well for [itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]M=1[/itex] that equation yields [itex]\exp(-2) = 1[/itex]?

Here I'm assuming k=K.

BTW. Does (sinh(2S+1)x/2) mean (x/2) sinh(2S+1). Or do you mean sinh((2S+1)x/2) ?

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    K is a boltzmann constant. M is magnetisation. b = beta.
    I meant the last one. The equation should read: exp(-MgbgH/KT) = sinh[(2S+1)x/2]/sinh(x/2) with M and x as defined above.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook