Transformation of expoential to hyperbolic

In summary, the conversation is discussing a formula in a book that relates to Boltzmann constant, magnetisation, and temperature. The formula is exp(-MgbH/KT) = (sinh(2S+1)x/2)/(sinh(x/2)) for M=2S+1, and x = gbH/(kt). One person points out a mistake in the formula and the other person clarifies it. There is also a discussion about the meaning of the notation (sinh(2S+1)x/2).
mccoy1

Homework Statement

The book has it exp(-MgbH/KT) =(sinh(2S+1)x/2)/(sinh(x/2)) for M=2S+1, and x = gbH/(kt).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd have it as cosh(Mx)-sinh(Mx). How did they get the above result? Help please. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x=0 and y=1 then the book's formula gives exp(0)=0. 1=0 is nonsense. You don't need to ask where it comes from. Or is there a typo in there? Your formula is certainly correct.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If x=0 and y=1 then the book's formula gives exp(0)=0. 1=0 is nonsense. You don't need to ask where it comes from. Or is there a typo in there?

Sorry I have made a mistake in writing that down. The book actually have it as exp(-MgbH/KT). M = 2S+1. The book let gbH/KT be x. And then it went ahead to say exp(-MgbH/KT) = sinh[(2S+1)x/2]/sinh(x/2). Which is sinh[Mx/2]/sinh(x/2) . Sorry for the inconvenience.

Well for [itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]M=1[/itex] that equation yields [itex]\exp(-2) = 1[/itex]?

Here I'm assuming k=K.

BTW. Does (sinh(2S+1)x/2) mean (x/2) sinh(2S+1). Or do you mean sinh((2S+1)x/2) ?

uart said:
Well for [itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]M=1[/itex] that equation yields [itex]\exp(-2) = 1[/itex]?

Here I'm assuming k=K.

BTW. Does (sinh(2S+1)x/2) mean (x/2) sinh(2S+1). Or do you mean sinh((2S+1)x/2) ?

K is a Boltzmann constant. M is magnetisation. b = beta.
I meant the last one. The equation should read: exp(-MgbgH/KT) = sinh[(2S+1)x/2]/sinh(x/2) with M and x as defined above.
Cheers.

Last edited:

What is the difference between exponential and hyperbolic transformations?

An exponential transformation involves raising a base number to a power, whereas a hyperbolic transformation involves taking the inverse of a base number and raising it to a power.

Why would one use a hyperbolic transformation instead of an exponential transformation?

Hyperbolic transformations can be useful for data that exhibits non-linear patterns or for transforming data to achieve a more normal distribution.

What is the formula for transforming exponential data to hyperbolic?

The formula is y = ln(x + sqrt(x^2 + 1)).

Do hyperbolic transformations preserve the shape of the original data?

No, hyperbolic transformations can change the shape of the data by compressing or stretching certain areas of the data.

Can a hyperbolic transformation be used for any type of data?

No, hyperbolic transformations are most commonly used for data that follows a non-linear relationship, such as in time-series or growth data.