1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformations math help

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Q
    Applying a horizontal stretch by a factor of k (where k is a constant such that k>1) to f(x)=lnx is equivalent to applying what shift to f? Give both the amount and direction of the shift.

my A
    so i came to the conclusion that the answers must have to do with the laws of logs. and from that i cam to the conclusion the shift = to f(kx)=ln(kx)=ln(x)+ln(k) are = so the shift of f(x) would be f(x)+ln(k).

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks good. Of course, my understanding of what you mean by "stretch" and "shift" is based on the answer you came up with, so it's not like I could look at the problem, solve it and then compare my result to yours.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    Re: Transformations

Well vertical shift ment up or down the desired unit. And horazontal stretches and compressions. By the desired factor. Hmm not sure how to put that. Well that basically what the book says.

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Actually, if k > 1, then f(kx) is a horizontal shrink of f(x) by a factor of 1/k. If you want a horizontal stretch by a factor of k, with k > 1, then you should write it as
    [itex]f\left( \frac{x}{k} \right)[/itex].

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer to the problem gave me more information than that. The horizontal stretch by a factor k is presumably the map ##f\mapsto g## where g is defined by g(x)=f(x/k) for all x.

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6
    thanks you guys. Once again PF has saved me from a careless error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted