Applying a Horizontal Stretch to ln(x): Understanding the Shift in f(x)

In summary, applying a horizontal stretch by a factor of k (where k is a constant such that k>1) to f(x)=lnx is equivalent to applying a vertical shift by the same factor of k to f(x).
andrewkg
Q
Applying a horizontal stretch by a factor of k (where k is a constant such that k>1) to f(x)=lnx is equivalent to applying what shift to f? Give both the amount and direction of the shift.

my A
so i came to the conclusion that the answers must have to do with the laws of logs. and from that i cam to the conclusion the shift = to f(kx)=ln(kx)=ln(x)+ln(k) are = so the shift of f(x) would be f(x)+ln(k).

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good. Of course, my understanding of what you mean by "stretch" and "shift" is based on the answer you came up with, so it's not like I could look at the problem, solve it and then compare my result to yours.

Well vertical shift ment up or down the desired unit. And horazontal stretches and compressions. By the desired factor. Hmm not sure how to put that. Well that basically what the book says.

andrewkg said:
Q
Applying a horizontal stretch by a factor of k (where k is a constant such that k>1) to f(x)=lnx is equivalent to applying what shift to f? Give both the amount and direction of the shift.

my A
so i came to the conclusion that the answers must have to do with the laws of logs. and from that i cam to the conclusion the shift = to f(kx)=ln(kx)=ln(x)+ln(k) are = so the shift of f(x) would be f(x)+ln(k).

What do you guys think?

Actually, if k > 1, then f(kx) is a horizontal shrink of f(x) by a factor of 1/k. If you want a horizontal stretch by a factor of k, with k > 1, then you should write it as
[itex]f\left( \frac{x}{k} \right)[/itex].

andrewkg said:
Well vertical shift ment up or down the desired unit. And horazontal stretches and compressions. By the desired factor. Hmm not sure how to put that. Well that basically what the book says.
Your answer to the problem gave me more information than that. The horizontal stretch by a factor k is presumably the map ##f\mapsto g## where g is defined by g(x)=f(x/k) for all x.

thanks you guys. Once again PF has saved me from a careless error.

1. What are transformations in math?

Transformations in math refer to the changes in the position, size, or shape of a geometric figure. They are used to describe the movement of objects on a coordinate plane.

2. What are the different types of transformations?

There are four main types of transformations in math: translation, rotation, reflection, and dilation. Translation refers to moving an object in a certain direction, rotation involves rotating an object around a fixed point, reflection is the mirror image of an object, and dilation is the enlargement or reduction of an object without changing its shape.

3. How do you perform a transformation?

To perform a transformation, you need to know the rules for each type of transformation. For translation, you need to know the direction and distance of the movement. For rotation, you need to know the angle and direction of rotation. For reflection, you need to know the line of symmetry. For dilation, you need to know the scale factor.

4. How do transformations relate to real-life applications?

Transformations have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, art, and engineering. For example, architects use transformations to design buildings and engineers use them to create 3D models of structures. In art, transformations are used to create different perspectives and illusions.

5. How can I practice transformations in math?

You can practice transformations by working on problems and exercises that involve applying the rules for each type of transformation. You can also use online resources and interactive games to strengthen your skills in transformations. Additionally, you can identify real-life examples of transformations around you and try to describe them using mathematical language.