Transformations of functions help

In summary: The depth, D metres, of the water at the end of a jetty in the afternoon can be modeled by this formulaD = 5.5 + Asin30(t - k)degwheret hours is the number of hours after middayA and k are constants.Yesterday the low tide was at 3pmThe depth of wter at low tide was 3.5m
Trail_Builder
bascially, my teacher rushed us through transformations of functions in an hour, and didnt have time to go throuhg it all so i need some expalnations from you guys please :rolleyes:

(you don't have to do it for me, just tell me where to go, thnx)

1.) The curve with equation y = x^2 - 2x - 3 reflected in the y-axis. Find the equation of this new curve.

right, i know that when y=f(x) that to reflect in y-axis I do y=f(-x).

so, to answer the question, do i simply stick a - sign in front of all the x? leaving y = -x^2 + 2x - 3 ? but then, let's say i changed the question to the x-axis (i know when y=f(x) to reflect in x-axis you do y=-f(x) ) i am now more confused because i would guess to also stick minus in front again ?:confused: which i know i can't do the same.

can someone please explain what to do, thnx

2.) Describe fully the sequence of two transformations that maps the graph of y = sinx onto the graph of y=3sin2x

i know how to do the bit relating to 3, which is 'multiply the y-value by 3', but i not sure how to do the transformation relating to 2, can you advise please. thnx

3.) (not sure how it relates to transformations of functions but its on the list of related qus) The depth, D metres, of the water at the end of a jetty in the afternoon can be modeled by this formula

D = 5.5 + Asin30(t - k)deg

where

t hours is the number of hours after midday
A and k are constants.

Yesterday the low tide was at 3pm
The depth of wter at low tide was 3.5m

Find the value of A and k

is it as simple as subbing the values in? because that somehow seems to easy and not related to transformation of functions?

thnx

hope you can help will these and please explain rather than tell me answer, thnx a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a graphing calculator? You could test #1 for yourself and see if it works. For #2, if a is a positive number, the graph of [tex]f(\frac{x}{a})[/tex] is the graph of f(x) stretched horizontally by a factor of a and the graph of f(ax) is the graph of f(x) compressed by a factor of a.

More info for #1, let's say we are given f(x)=2x+4

f(-x)=-2x+4
-f(x)=-2x-4

The best way to understand transformations is to pick up your graphing calculator, punch in y=x+4, then try y=-x+4, then try y=[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex]+4, then try y==[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex]+8, etc. Try to understand why it is happening.

Last edited:
thnx buddy, yeh i have a an uber sweet calculater, cost like 70 quid hehe, so yeh it can do graphs, ill have a play at school tomoz, thnx

Trail_Builder said:
bascially, my teacher rushed us through transformations of functions in an hour, and didnt have time to go throuhg it all so i need some expalnations from you guys please :rolleyes:

(you don't have to do it for me, just tell me where to go, thnx)

1.) The curve with equation y = x^2 - 2x - 3 reflected in the y-axis. Find the equation of this new curve.

right, i know that when y=f(x) that to reflect in y-axis I do y=f(-x).

so, to answer the question, do i simply stick a - sign in front of all the x? leaving y = -x^2 + 2x - 3 ? but then, let's say i changed the question to the x-axis (i know when y=f(x) to reflect in x-axis you do y=-f(x) ) i am now more confused because i would guess to also stick minus in front again ?:confused: which i know i can't do the same.

can someone please explain what to do, thnx
surely your algebra is better than that! f(-x) means that x is replaced with -x so that, for example, x2 become (-x)2. That is NOT -x2! y= (-x)2+ 2(-x)- 3= what?

2.) Describe fully the sequence of two transformations that maps the graph of y = sinx onto the graph of y=3sin2x

i know how to do the bit relating to 3, which is 'multiply the y-value by 3', but i not sure how to do the transformation relating to 2, can you advise please. thnx
I would not say 'multiply the y-value by 3' but rather 'stretch the graph vertically by 3': a "transformation" is geometric. As for the 2, your "base" equation is y= sin(x). If you think of y= sin(2x)= sin(x') then x'= 2x so x= x'/2. The "old" x value is divided by 2. Geometrically, the graph is "squeezed" horizontally by a factor of 1/2.

Are you related to "TheMatador"? see
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152054

3.) (not sure how it relates to transformations of functions but its on the list of related qus) The depth, D metres, of the water at the end of a jetty in the afternoon can be modeled by this formula

D = 5.5 + Asin30(t - k)deg

where

t hours is the number of hours after midday
A and k are constants.

Yesterday the low tide was at 3pm
The depth of wter at low tide was 3.5m

Find the value of A and k

is it as simple as subbing the values in? because that somehow seems to easy and not related to transformation of functions?

thnx

hope you can help will these and please explain rather than tell me answer, thnx a bunch
Yes, it is that easy! Substitute the values given and you will have two equations to solve for A and k.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do transformations affect the graph of a function?

Transformations of a function involve changing the position, size, or shape of the graph. These changes are reflected in the function's equation and can result in a translation, reflection, or dilation of the original function.

2. What are the common types of transformations for functions?

The most common types of transformations for functions are translations, reflections, and dilations. Translations shift the graph horizontally or vertically, reflections flip the graph across an axis, and dilations stretch or shrink the graph.

3. How do I determine the type of transformation from a function's equation?

The type of transformation can be determined by looking at the coefficients and constants in the function's equation. A coefficient greater than 1 indicates a dilation, a negative coefficient indicates a reflection, and constants indicate a translation.

4. What is the order of transformations for functions?

The order of transformations is important, as it determines the final position of the graph. Generally, transformations are applied in the order of dilation, then reflection, and finally translation. However, this may vary depending on the specific function and its equation.

5. How can I use transformations to graph complex functions?

Transformations can be used to simplify the graphing of complex functions. By breaking down the function into smaller parts and applying transformations to each part, you can create a more manageable graph. Additionally, transformations can be used to easily graph transformations of basic functions, such as quadratic, exponential, or trigonometric functions.