Simple Transformations Questions

In summary: So basically when you say "a stretch is applied to the graph of y=/x to produce the graph of y=/9x" this is what you mean?
The Matador
Sorry I don't know how to show the root sign on the forums so I am just going to use /

Homework Statement

A stretch is applied to the graph of y=/x to produce the graph of y=/9x . Relative to the x and y axis, this stretch may be described as either a... (then it lists a, b, c, or d answers)

The answer is:
horizontal stretch by a factor of 1 over 9 about the y-axis or a vertical stretch by a factor of 3 about the x-axis.

2. The attempt at a solution
I understand that the root of 9 is 3, so it makes sense to me that the vertical stretch is 3. But what I don't understand is why is the horizontal stretch is 1 over 9. Should I not find the root of that and then it be 1 over 3? The only thing I can think of is the the 9 is like this /(9x) and I have to take the 9 out and then I still have a nine outside. /9 = 3 then 3^2 = 9 again. So it comes out to be 1 over 9.

I also assume, although I'm not sure if I'm correct is the reason that it can be a vertical or horizontal stretch is because its not defined in the equation as being a vertical or horizontal stretch.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Matador said:
Sorry I don't know how to show the root sign on the forums so I am just going to use /

Homework Statement

A stretch is applied to the graph of y=/x to produce the graph of y=/9x . Relative to the x and y axis, this stretch may be described as either a... (then it lists a, b, c, or d answers)

The answer is:
horizontal stretch by a factor of 1 over 9 about the y-axis or a vertical stretch by a factor of 3 about the x-axis.

2. The attempt at a solution
I understand that the root of 9 is 3, so it makes sense to me that the vertical stretch is 3. But what I don't understand is why is the horizontal stretch is 1 over 9. Should I not find the root of that and then it be 1 over 3? The only thing I can think of is the the 9 is like this /(9x) and I have to take the 9 out and then I still have a nine outside. /9 = 3 then 3^2 = 9 again. So it comes out to be 1 over 9.

I also assume, although I'm not sure if I'm correct is the reason that it can be a vertical or horizontal stretch is because its not defined in the equation as being a vertical or horizontal stretch.
Obviously [itex]y= \sqrt{9x}[/itex] is the same thing as [itex]y= 3\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Since your base equation is [itex]y'= \sqrt{x'}[/itex] (I put the primes on to distinguish the "old" equation from the new), thinking of this a "change in y" it is [itex]y= 3y'= 3(\sqrt{x})[/itex]: the "old value of y" is multiplied by 3 so it is a "stretch" of 3 of the vertical y-axis. However, thinking of this as a change only in x, [itex]y= \sqrt{x'}= \sqrt{9x}[/itex]: x'= 9x or x= (1/9)x'. The "old value" of x' is multiplied by 1/9, not 1/3. Changes in x occur before the "base" function (here [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]) is applied, changes in y occur after.

(Click on the equations to see the Tex code.)

Ok thanks for clarifying that for me.

1. What are simple transformations?

Simple transformations refer to the changes or modifications made to a system or object that result in a new form or state. These can include physical, chemical, or mathematical transformations.

2. What are some examples of simple transformations?

Examples of simple transformations include melting ice to form water, cutting a piece of paper into smaller pieces, multiplying a number by 2, or mixing two chemicals to form a new compound.

3. What is the purpose of studying simple transformations?

Studying simple transformations allows scientists to better understand how different systems and objects behave and change. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

4. How can simple transformations be used in real life?

Simple transformations are used in many aspects of daily life, from cooking and cleaning to manufacturing and transportation. For example, baking a cake involves transforming raw ingredients into a delicious dessert, and cars are assembled using various transformations of metal and plastic materials.

5. What are some common misconceptions about simple transformations?

One common misconception is that simple transformations are always linear and predictable. In reality, they can be complex and nonlinear, depending on the system and factors involved. Another misconception is that simple transformations are always reversible, which is not always the case. Some transformations result in permanent changes that cannot be undone.