Transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs

In summary: Your Name]In summary, transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs is only possible when the orders of each equation are the same. This is because the transformation relies on being able to express higher order derivatives in terms of lower order derivatives. In cases where the orders do not agree, such a transformation is not possible.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Say we have a system of [itex]N[/itex] PDEs, each with even order. That is, say the [itex]k^{th}[/itex] equation has order [itex]2 m_k[/itex]. If [itex]m_i = m_j[/itex] for all [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex], then we can transform the system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs by introducing new variables.

However, if [itex]m_i \neq m_j[/itex] for some [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex], then I do not see how to transform the system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs. Below is a simple example of where I am getting stuck

The Attempt at a Solution

Say [itex]N = 2[/itex], [itex]m_1 = 2[/itex], and [itex]m_2 = 1[/itex]. We can write this system as

[itex]
x_{1, t} = - x_1^{(4)} + \sum_{j = 1}^2 \sum_{i = 0}^{3} a_{j, i}^1 x_1^{(i)}, \\
x_{2, t} = x_k^{(2)} + \sum_{j = 1}^2 \sum_{i = 0}^{1} a_{j, i}^2 x_2^{(i)}.
[/itex]

Say we make the change of variables

[itex]
u_{1, 1, x} = u_{1, 2} \\
u_{1, 2, x} = u_{1, 3} \\
u_{1, 3, x} = u_{1, 4} \\
u_{1, 4, x} = -\lambda u_{1, 1} + \sum_{j = 1}^2 \sum_{i = 0}^{3} a_{j, i}^1 u_{j, i+1} \\
u_{2, 1, x} = u_{2, 2} \\
u_{2, 2, x} = \lambda u_{2, 1} - \sum_{j = 1}^2 \sum_{i = 0}^{1} a_{j, i}^2 u_{j, i+1} \\
u_{2, 3, x} = u_{2, 4} \\
u_{2, 4, x} = ??
[/itex]

As far as I can see, [itex]u_{2, 4, x}[/itex] is not defined because it involves the fifth derivative of [itex]x_1[/itex]. Does this mean that systems of PDEs can only be transformed into first order systems of ODEs if the orders of each of the equations agree? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is indeed true that systems of PDEs can only be transformed into first order systems of ODEs if the orders of each of the equations agree. This is because the transformation you have proposed relies on being able to express higher order derivatives in terms of lower order derivatives. When the orders of the equations do not agree, this is not possible.

In your example, the transformation you have proposed is not valid because it relies on being able to express the fourth derivative of x_1 in terms of lower order derivatives. However, this is not possible because the fourth derivative of x_1 does not appear in the original system of PDEs.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. How do you transform a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs?

To transform a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs, you can use the method of characteristics. This involves introducing new variables and rewriting the PDEs in terms of these variables, which can then be used to create a system of first order ODEs.

2. What is the advantage of transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs?

The advantage of transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs is that it simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve. First order ODEs are typically easier to solve than PDEs, and this transformation can also help in finding a general solution to the problem.

3. Can any system of PDEs be transformed into a first order system of ODEs?

Yes, any system of PDEs can be transformed into a first order system of ODEs using the method of characteristics. However, the resulting system of ODEs may not always be easy to solve analytically and may require numerical methods for a solution.

4. Are there any limitations to transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs?

One limitation of transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs is that it may not always be possible to find a general solution. The resulting ODEs may also be difficult to solve numerically, especially if the system is nonlinear.

5. How can transforming a system of PDEs into a first order system of ODEs be applied in real-world problems?

This transformation technique is commonly used in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetic theory. It can help in modeling and solving real-world problems involving PDEs, such as predicting the behavior of fluids in a pipe or the temperature distribution in a heated object.