Transforming Orbital Elements from J2000 to Ecliptic Plane

• Thread starter kepler
  • Start date
In summary, Kepler is trying to find a way to move coordinates from one reference frame to another in order to simplify orbital motion. He is looking for a more complex explanation when Newton's and the original Kepler's laws work just fine. He is also skeptical of relativity because it adds too many tweaks. However, if you can provide evidence that your theory is correct, physicists will be eager to endorse it.
kepler
Hi,

since the previous conversion I needed doesn't seem to be of the common sense, let's try this: I have the orbital elements of a body referred to the equinox J2000 and to the equatorial plane. I need to transform the argument of the Perihélion, the inclination and the ascending node to the ecliptic plane and apply the precession to another epoch.

Any ideas?

Kepler

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's hard to give a short answer.

The ECI coordinates need to be translated (by the Sun-Earth distance), then rotated.

Try the IERS or the US Naval Observatory to get the ECI to Barycentric rotation coefficients.

First step

I was able to reduce the orbital elements for precession and nutation. Now, it leaves me the work of refer the inclination, arg. of perihelion and asc. node from the equatorial plane to the ecliptic one.

Kepler

Why look for a more complex way to explain orbital motions when Newton's [and the original Kepler's] laws work as well they do? Relativity adds a few tweaks, but, you are adding more than a few tweaks. While that does not make you wrong, it makes your theory very suspect. Once you show the math and predictions supported by observational evidence, physicists will fight to fall in line to endorse your theories.

No, he's talking about transforming coordinates from one frame of reference (with the center of the Earth as the origin) to another (with the center of the Sun as the origin). Once you move far enough out that the Sun's gravity has more effect on an object's motion than the Earth, using the Sun as your reference frame makes description of the motion a lot simpler than the using the Earth's.

If you have an Astronomical Almanac, I'm pretty sure you could piece together the info you need. Unfortunately, I have a lot more experience with Earth satellite orbits and it would take a bit of work to figure out the transformation to a Barycentric reference frame.

I'm thinking the Right Ascension of Ascending Node would use the same reference, the First Point of Aries, but I wouldn't want to guarantee it. The difference between the equatorial plane and the ecliptic plane is about 23.4 degrees (an astronomical almanac should show the exact value, adjusted for nutation).

Related to Transforming Orbital Elements from J2000 to Ecliptic Plane

1. What are orbital elements?

Orbital elements are a set of parameters that describe the shape, orientation, and position of an object's orbit around a central body. These elements include the eccentricity, inclination, and semi-major axis.

2. Why do we need to transform orbital elements from J2000 to the ecliptic plane?

J2000 is a coordinate system based on the Earth's position and orientation at the start of the year 2000. However, the ecliptic plane is the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun. Transforming orbital elements from J2000 to the ecliptic plane allows for more accurate calculations and predictions of an object's position in relation to the sun.

3. How is the transformation from J2000 to the ecliptic plane done?

The transformation involves rotating the J2000 coordinates around the z-axis by the obliquity of the ecliptic and then rotating around the y-axis by the longitude of the ascending node. These rotations align the J2000 coordinates with the ecliptic plane.

4. Can orbital elements be transformed to other coordinate systems?

Yes, orbital elements can be transformed to any coordinate system as long as the necessary rotation matrices are known. For example, orbital elements can be transformed to the equatorial plane or the galactic plane.

5. How are transformed orbital elements used in scientific research?

Transformed orbital elements are used in various fields of study, such as astronomy and astrodynamics, to accurately track and predict the position of celestial objects. They are also used in spacecraft trajectory planning and orbital mechanics calculations.